Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Burger

gray stripe removal?

Discussion in 'Silverton Yacht' started by DaddysGirls, Sep 30, 2010.

1. DaddysGirls

DaddysGirls New Member

Is there a way to remove the gray hull stripe? I'm buying an 88 40' convertible. I saw an add where a guy said he removed the gray stripe. I thought it was made into the gel coat. May be he painted it?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You could paint it. However many times the image of the stripe......or the shadow will show through to a degree anytime a stripe has been over the gelcoat for a while. If you paint it white to match the hull, it will appear shinier and be somewhat noticable......
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Gray? It sounds like you're talking about the boot stripe although I've seldom seen it in gray or the Bertram. The boot stripe is usually done in vinyl or paint.
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Since this is posted in the Silverton forum, we assume a 40 Silverton Convertible.

I had customers paint out the gray with a (near enough) off white to match the hull. They added a tape stripe at the break to distract your eye from any slight color difference. She looked great with the gray shear stripe gone.

Attached Files: