Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

Generator Raw Water Pump

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by 45SS, Jul 27, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 45SS

45SS Member

On my 1997 45SS it's almost impossible to change the raw water pump impeller. Generator is a westerbeke 8BTD. Last time I replaced the impeller I had the exhaust manifold off which allowed me to get to the back side of the pumpwhich is where the cover for the impeller is located. Only other possibility I can see is to remove the pump but access is very limited and can't get to one of the bolts at all. Anyone have an idea without removing the exhaust manifold?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There used to be a company that sold a speed cover kit. A couple of wing nuts, the cover swung out of the way (but not off). Then pull out / push in the impeller,,, position the cover in place and tighten the wing nuts back down.
    I have not heard of this kit in a while.
    I was exposed to them long ago on customers boats and thought it was a good idea,, but not seen or heard of this kit in a long while.
    Maybe another YF member can remember or knows more.

Remember, you paid extra for the serviceability technologies of a WorsterBroke.
    You must not have that required triple jointed, 5 foot long arm to reach these technologies.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The difficult part of an impeller change isn’t the cover or removing the impeller but installing the new one in. I find it much easier just to remove the pump and replace the impeller on the bench.

problem isn’t the generator itself but the **** builder that puts it in a spot with no access
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well, It's an WorsterBroke installed in an Ocean.
    Nuff said??
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve owned or used Westerbekes, never had issues. I ll take one over an Ohno or an impeller chewing kohler any time
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My brother with the triple jointed, long arm.
  7. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

SpeedSeal is what I recall being touted as the easy-off cover.
  8. dewald

dewald Member

I have a 10 BTD on my 42 Ocean. At 73 years young, 6' and shrinking, 180 lbs. I'm still able to crawl in and get behind the generator. Must lay on my side and/or back to work on it. A soft cushion, long skinny fingers and a small socket wrench set help's a lot.
  9. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I realize this might help you now but when I replaced my generator I had it moved forward 6 additional inches off a bulkhead. It made no difference to access across the front and significantly improved access in the rear. I don’t know why Viking did not do that in the first place. Maybe something you can do in the off season.
  10. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

A photo might help with suggestions. Ages ago after heading out Manasquan Inlet a water pump on one of the Cummins locked up. Nearest dock just inside I found was the CC station where we tried removing the pump but determined it was impossible due to one bolt. One of the CC guys wandered over and volunteered to look at it and asked if we had a 5/8 open end which he took to their shop; heated it up to make a 90 degree bend and with that the impossible became the possible.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have a set of ratchet box wrenches on the boat with articulated ends. Comes in very handy sometimes
  12. 45SS

45SS Member

Found a way to get it done without pulling the exhaust manifold. Still had to remove the exhaust elbow. All it took after that was long arms and small tools but the job is done. The impeller was missing 3 vanes. Opened up the heat exchanger and found 7 vanes. Thank you previous owner.
    leeky and chesapeake46 like this.
  13. Eroc

Eroc Member

Pull the pump out and replace the impeller. Much easier and you’ll be able to inspect the shaft which is prone to rounding off. Also I’d take a Westerbeke over most other brands, my 10BTD has over 7700hrs on it and has only had routine maintenance done.