Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Gas Tanks

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by 33mr, Jul 16, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 33mr

33mr New Member

Hi i own a 32' 1972 Luhrs sedan fly bridge. I would like to know if any other owners had to or just wanted to replace their gas tanks and if so, how did they go about it.
  2. Joe McKairnes

Joe McKairnes Member

Curious why you want to replace them.... leaking?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Gas tanks in a Lurhs. Leaking?
    Of course they are or soon will be,,, it's a gas tank in a Lurhs,,,,, question.
    Disbelief s.jpg
  4. 33mr

33mr New Member

so far i don't see any signs of gas in the bilges, There are no gas sensors on the tanks and no dipping entry. I need to know how much gas are in the tanks so , better to pull them out and install newer ones that are lighter in lbs. I have two steel tanks and i really don't trust the way they look.. so far i haven't found any one that can tell me how to get them out with out disassembling my engine compartment
  5. 33mr

33mr New Member

bad answer, What is wrong with an older lurhs other than its not a luxury model vessel? it was built in NJ, tested and tried and its not a plastic looking boat...
  6. Joe McKairnes

Joe McKairnes Member

Sorry I can't be of more help. Usually if they are under a fiberglass deck, that section can be unscrewed and removed to expose the tank. Wishing you good luck!
  7. 33mr

33mr New Member

Right, guess its a guessing , learn as you go type situation. thank you for your reply..
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It is a 51 year old gas boat. I have made no other comments.
    The original tanks are long past their service life.
    If your not leaking now, you are just super lucky.
    Now, I am assuming these are the original tanks. Now you mentioned steel?? Monel or stainless??
    Possibly some previous owner has already replaced them?

Yes, You have to at least tear down the engines if not remove them to replace the tanks properly.
    You may be able to cut up the deck near full beam to get to them. Maybe just pull off the outside exhaust manifolds.
    Has a real service yard looked at it yet?
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  9. 33mr

33mr New Member

Hi, no not yet, just trying to find any one that did they so far. I have the boat on the hard and been re doing it. I have to take out the port engine and replace it so i was looking at that as the starting place on removing the gas tanks. but this is my first time tackeling some thing this large.