Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

Garmin switching time zones on its own!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Pascal, Jun 22, 2024.

1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Confused about this one… we have a pair of Garmin 8617 on the 110 I ve been running for three years. Today on the way to the Exumas I noticed that when away from shore (middle of the stream, crossing the bank between Cat and Andros, and right now on the Exuma bank) the current time changes automatically one hour behind! Right now they re showing 22:19 instead of 23:19.

While close to Cat Cay, then Andros and New Providence it reverted to the correct time.

I ve done this run many times with these MFDs in the last 3 years and it s the first it happens. Haven’t updated anything on them.

apparently you can’t manually set the time… searched the manual and it says time is automatically adjusted for the location you re in! No setting available.

Puzzled on the bank :)
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

That would drive me nuts! When crossing oceans, I manually change time zones roughly every 15 degrees, but I do so on my schedule so that we can coordinate with watch keepers.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have no idea what clock adjustment the states are in rite now.
    I'm not sure if the islands follow this kaos.

Next, clock signals come from the GPS system. The government's system in the sky built by the lowest bidder.
    Programed and maintained by that same government's adult(?) day care center. Somebody may have messed up.

Next, consider an update when you return (NOT while deployed)).
    There are tables and special sat updates every now and then needed, that does not come down the GPS data pipeline.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Problem is that there are no options to change the time zone. First GPS I find that doesn’t have a setting for that…

second issue is that it never happened before! It s like suddenly the system has decided that the Gulf Stream and the banks should be on Central Time! And again I haven’t updated or changed anything. Last trip to the Exumas was in February and it was fine.

i m reluctant to update the firmware, even after we get home… ain’t broken, don’t fix it thing. :)

last night about 20nm out of shroud on the bank, it switched back to correct time.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember updating Simrad MFDs and they went into space, never to work again.
    Simrad replaced them quickly.
    My electronic rep had the same happen to a later Garmin MFD.
    These were my lessons to NEVER mess with any device software/firmware while deployed.

I do understand Not wanting to update equipment that seems to be working correctly.
    But satellite technology does change. Old sats go off-line and new ones are launched.
    There used to be a firmware table of Sats and how to talk to them (better?) required for early WAAS/GPS receivers.
    The reason the old work horse RN310 (RC320) is so slow today. No more updates from Raytheon.

Either the DOD fixed their bug or another satellite provided the clock.

It could be a while before the DOD admits there was a problem, but send them a note. They may reply.
    https://navcen.uscg.gov/contact/gps-problem-report

Other good readings,,, when your really that bored..
    https://navcen.uscg.gov/gps-constellation
    https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/global-positioning-system-overview
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I found a lil about time adjustment in your unit. Has to do with unit settings -- Time.
    Not a lot offered, Looks like just time zone adjustments.

Attached Files:

7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Thanks. I switched it to manual, will see if it stays that way when we head back in a week or two.
  8. Bayhouse

Bayhouse New Member

Yes, my old Garmin did this every time I went off-shore fishing, IIRC about 20 miles from the coastline. That setting change should stop that.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The odd thing is that it s the first time it happens after 3 years. On the way back I m going to check the time on the Icom VHF which is also set by its GPS receiver.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The Icom does not follow chart datum. Here is where I fear the error is coming from in the Garmin.
    Can you tell me what Software/firmware level your Garmin is currently.
    I or my Garmin guy can look up and see what fixes have been developed since that version. I bet a coffee something was updated.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

GPSMAP 8617
    Version 15.0 copyright 2014-2019

haven’t updated anything, neither the software or the charts because the the accuracy of garmin charts in the Bahamas has gone to crap since they started replacing explorer chart data with crapionics a few years back.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In the mean time, The surrounding technology around you has changed, near daily, for years.
    Give me a while to look into this. I have not used my Garmin dealer account in years.
    I'll tap on my Garmin guy if I can't get in.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah but bedsides this new time glitch which downer really matter, they the working fine. No need to risk an update I don’t need. I ve seen too many updates going from over the years.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

And I thought I was a cave man..
    th-71801424.jpeg

Thank you Ken for helping me identify..:D
    Ken Bracewell likes this.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Garmins have always done this when they have gotten a certain distance from shore or in International waters.
  16. incoming

incoming Member

I have been an hour late getting home from fishing many times because of this. I always assumed it was an adjustment for daylight savings time - once you are outside of a jurisdiction that officially recognizes it - which is why it doesn’t always happen.