Click for Westport Privacy Matters Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for JetForums

Full service on a Cummins 5.9BTA 315hp

Discussion in 'Engines' started by RossC, Jun 20, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RossC

RossC Member

What would a guy expect to pay for a full service on this engine and transmission. Raw water impeller, oil change, after cooler service, and anything else that is on Cummins recommended regular interval service. I've looked at a few. Owners say they have done the service per Cummins but can't produce any documentation and no indication in engine room....like dates on oil filters. Have to assume it hasn't been done and looking for a ball park to use when calculating an offer.

Thanks
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Impellers, zincs, oil, filters, incl gear shouldn’t be more than a day of labor so figure $1000-1200 for both.

supplies should be about $500 for both . They re pretty small engines.

Not sure about the aftercoolers but can’t imagine more than a day of work, if that.
  3. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

I have twin qsb 5.9 and have paid for oil, oil filter, fuel filter, impeller, zincs but not after cooler service just under $1,300 done by Cummins NW tech.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If there are no receipts, don't trust a dam thing on past service.
    We were just reminded of this in another thread.

It took us two days for everything on later Cummin and Detroit engines.
    Setting up, The service, Cleaning up, Delivery..
    That did not include R&R the air coolers.
    This was the norm for engines that we had already serviced or was properly serviced before.

I remember burning up hours removing zinc plugs that had never been services for years,, if ever.
    Ever hour that went by on the phone with the owner, texting him pictures and the reply,,, The previous owner said this, that and all was serviceable.

Then the hours trying to service air coolers that had never been serviced.
    Seized bolts, weeping seals..

Oh, the Sheerweed raw water pumps. A problem point itself but a mess if not dealt with.
    Yep, cleaned up many of these messes on supposed perfectly maintained engines.

One of the members here taught me long ago, No Proof, Didn't happen.

Survey the engines well. Very well.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  5. RossC

RossC Member

Agree. We looked at a Silverton last week. Aftercooler hose clamps appeared to be corroded in place, yet engines and aftercoolers were serviced by a Cummins shop last fall. Steel caps on stringers where the engines mount were also corroded so bad 1/8" thick chunks of rust were peeling off. Broker said owner had all service records but couldn't find them when we got there.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember one supposed well maintained boat broke a motor mount during sea trials. Yep, left front under the sheerweed raw water pump.
    It was just rust that held the engine up till,,,
    Surveyor and proposed buyer could not get off that boat fast enough.
  7. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Aftercooler and heat exchanger service is off-engine. Remove, let the radiator shop (for example) do their magic, reinstall. Don't remember cost; wasn't huge in the grand scheme of things, and much of it is labor to remove and reinstall.

If you're baselining new-to-you engines, replacing all the hoses, and probably the gear oil coolers, is a good thing. Labor plus parts.

More baselining: valve adjustment, and coolant drain/flush/replace with new. And properly clean-up/paint any rusted bits, bolt heads, etc.

I've read the raw water pump impeller on the 5.9s is a PITA to change... and that Seaboard Marine sells a replacement that's better. No further info on that. (We stayed with the original Sherwood pumps on our 8.3s, no particularly huge issue with those. I think I was told the Seaboard replacement pumps use splined -- rather than keyed -- impellers, and if so that may have been an improvement that we never experimented with.)

While you're at it, adding vacuum gauges and the easier drain plug to Racors can simplify your own work later on.

-Chris
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  8. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

My Previous boat had 315 Cummins. I did all that work on my own engines and as stated above, about a day disassembly and bring home clean after coolers and reassemble paint etc. heat exchangers I would bring to radiator shop then a day reassembly. I documented with picture and receipts for O-Rings, gaskets etc. I had to change multiple Sherwood pumps (need to Jack up engine and remove left front motor Mount then pump removal is easy. I finally switched to Seaboard pumps and never changed a pump again. The splined impellers are much better and you can’t drop the key into the intake hose (done that a few times). When you purchase the Seaboard impellers they come with a removal tool and impeller changes can be done in about 15 minutes.
    Anyway when I sold boat the pictures, parts receipts, and maintenance log were well documented. If the maintenance was truly done the owner should be able to show you.
    SeaLion and Capt Ralph like this.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep