Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Fuel Vent Question

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by captnrontx, Jul 9, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captnrontx

captnrontx New Member

I have a 1991 Carver 370 MY and when fueling I get gushers from the fuel blowing out (gas). I know it is a vent issue and I have tried to clean them. However, I don't know how to "properly" clean the vents in order to get air into the tank. I also just experienced vaper lock just a few weeks ago.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can try sticking a tie wrap or something rigid and flexible in the vent fitting on the side of the hull and clean it out........Take the vent line off of the top of the tank and blow it out with compressed air......
  3. captnrontx

captnrontx New Member

I noticed there was a screen or some metallic obstruction when I tried to clean it with a tie wrap. Does the vent unscrew from outside the hull? Do I need to go into the bilge to remove?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would try blowing it out with a compressor, on the hose after disconnecting the tank with someone feeling the vent to see if air is flowing out of it. You can remove the hose from the hull vent fitting and try cleaning it out from the inside.......It also might be a sag in the hose with water or fuel in it and the vapor from the tank cannot push it out.....as well
  5. captnrontx

captnrontx New Member

Thanks
  6. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Is this a new problem or since you bought the boat? Assuming it is not due to some incorrect work on the boat...

If you are blowing out fuel then they are not clogged. Most likely you have a low spot or loop in the vent where fuel is sitting. This creates a trap in the line. This prevents the vent from working until some pressure or vacuum is built up. At that some point while fueling the air pressure overcomes the weight of the fuel in the line and forces it's way out.

Check you vent line for a continuous slope. It is Ok to have a "loop" in the line as long as any fuel would either drain out the vent or back into the tank. This is not usually a factory design though.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That is a very good point, you will often find some of the problems found onboard can have simple fixes.
  8. captnrontx

captnrontx New Member

I love simply solutions...with a boat it usually expensive solutions.