Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums

Fuel tank gauges frozen?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Jnicholas, May 18, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

My Carver 450 with twin Volvo tam74p edc. Two fuel tank gauges. I know they are not very accurate, but both has stopped working at the same time.

after last fuel stop, 200 gallons purchased for each tank. Not quite to full and gauges reflected that.

several small trips completed the flow scan meters showed several gallons burned, gauges never moved. Just got home from longer trip and flow scans show 80 gallons burned in total since fill up. Should be close to half a tank remaining.

Both gauges have not moves at all from nearly full.

seems unlikely that both sending units or both independent gauges failed at the exact same time.

is there a breaker or some other way they are linked together for power? Not relying on it but would like to at least operate?

any suggestions on what I can try?
  2. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

Depending on the type of sender they can get stuck or in some cases a float becomes saturated and no longer functions. You need to find the sensors on your tanks and determine if the are getting voltage also.
  3. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

If they are stuck sometimes they can be cleaned and will function again.
  4. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

This is a picture of the type of Rochester senders I have on my Viking for both fuel and water tanks. IMG_3777.jpeg
  5. LM Viking

LM Viking Member

The black float goes up and down and can get stuck. There are other types and brands of senders used.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Corrosion on the common ground bar?
    (I seem to remember that most fuel gauge problems was caused by bad ground.)
  7. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

I’m not much of an electrician but that makes more sense that both floats corroded stuck at the exact same moment. I’ll have to get some help to find this common ground bar