Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Fuel selector switch for carver 3608

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Good Spirit, Jul 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    I have a 1992 3608 carver and am looking for the fuel tank selector for the generator. I have found them for the main engines but not for the genny. Any suggestions
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's pretty straight forward to follow the fuel lines. On one Carver I ran with 4 tanks you could have all motors drawing from the fore or aft tanks. On several 36's there was no transfer at all. Port drew off port, stbd off stbd. What I never ran into was a side to side transfer or a seperate one for the gen. A situation I was never thrilled with. Once transported a 36 for a short distance. Started with 1/4 tank on each side. Enough for the trip. When a tranny blew I was pushing the entire boat off one tank. As I watched that tank race for zero I was very frustrated that I couldn't get to the fuel in the other tank. In fact there wasn't even a garden hose that I could use to syphon. If I owned one of these boats that's a retrofit I'd invest in.
  3. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

My 370 which is the same model has a gen fuel selector valve, same for both engines too. They are in a line to the starboard side of the generator.
  4. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    Thanks for the comments. I have found the fuel selector valves for both engines but not for the genny. As you mention they are on the starboard side. Could the genny just rerun off one tank? If so how difficult is it to install a selector switch so I can run off either tank.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  5. timjet

timjet Member

I don't know how valid this info is but my Carver 355 genset only feeds from the port main tank. There is no selector valve. I do however have a transfer pump that can be used to transfer fuel from the starboard to the port tank to keep the boat in balance. Perhaps this is your situation.