Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

Fuel Pressure Switch Issues

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Matt Clark, Jun 17, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

I have a 1990 44 Ocean with 671 Detroit’s and have replaced the starboard engine fuel pressure switch three times in the last year and a half so apparently I need to keep some extras on board. Interesting that the original manufactured part on the port engine has never needed to be replaced and the newer replacement switches don't seem to last long. Anyone having the same issues? I understand the importance of the fuel pressure switch is so you don't restart the motor when it's already started so I'm be nervous to bypass that. Thoughts?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What brand was on originally?
    Nason, Honeywell (Hobbs), TecMark, Danfoss,,
    All have good / bad batches of lil switches.

How do you know yours is bad? Hit the starter while running?
    Or N-C and closed to start, then you can't start.
    You may be over amping the switch.

Also, on lots of V installs, some fuel pressure switches sticks out like a sore thumb, always getting knocked while it stabs you in the leg.
  3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Ok thanks. I will check the brand of original and replacement. Mechanic is telling me it was bad as I had nothing when I hit the start switch and since this has happened a few times before when I put in a new switch and it immediately solved the problem. One time I did by pass the switch to get home as I was on a trip.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just came to mind;
    Do you have dual starter solenoids?
    Would you have a schematic of what you have?
    On lots of heavy duty installs, a small solenoid is connected to the start switch, This small (low current draw) solenoid drives the big starter solenoid.
    If your pressure switch is over amping then failing, then this may help.

My Detroit's have 3 solenoids. Further insurance keeping the starter motor from running away.
    Amazing what the mfgs were thinking 45 years ago.