Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click to Save Click for Abeking

Fuel Lines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by SplashFl, Oct 3, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Once replaced the rubber section of hydraulic steering lines and discovered it had an expiration date. Purchase survey recommended all fuel lines on current boat be replaced (no leaks) and after something happened to a section of one that prevented an engine running off one of the two fuel tanks decided it was time to replace them all, hence the small collection in the making.
    Old Fuel Lines.jpg
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Save those ends. Expensive and reusable.
    Use bolt cutters to snip off the hose and mail them to me,, if not wanted.
    I'll cover S&H. :)
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I've lost count of the times I heard about such recommendations.
    Which makes me wonder why so few builders use all s/steel fuel pipes, as I have in my boat.
    Which is not a battleship by any stretch of imagination!
  4. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Correct the collar gets cut off and a new one used to crimp new hose on the old end.
  5. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

The mechanic took them to the hose supply for them to match up new ones. I'll text him to bring them back with the new ones and will send you the cut off ends. Cost me like 350.00 without labor for a short 4 ft. one I had made up a few days ago before deciding to replace them all. Unable to find where the starboard return line goes into forward tank. We can see it entering ER forward bulk head but not on the other side. Suspect might be under the floor, under stateroom bed but really strange as it would be the only line on the boat without any visible access. Sucks not having any paperwork or the long gone Bertram factory in Miami to maybe be of some help.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I usually just buy the hose and reuse the ends. All lengths are then perfect to the last connection.
    When I re-hosed our Bert, nicer radi in the bends and less strain near the valves. Over all about 10' more hose than factory.

Surveyors have to justify their jobs.
    A few of our past surveyors have mentioned, they can not report a perfect survey.
    GFI outlets and old fuel hose are near automatically on their recommendation list when they can not find much to gripe about.
  7. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

All of my GFI's were bad. In the old days when they went bad they would just not "pop," so it was a great improvement when they fixed that flaw. One at my dock once saved my ass. Feet in the water on a wave runner and when I reached up for the davit cable, more heard the GFI pop then the SLIGHTEST "jolt." Turns out the davit motor developed some sort of short. The sellers captain had told me he always ran off the aft tank. One day decided to let them drink from the fwd tank but starboard main would not run off it. Turned out the 4 ft. section of fuel line from selector valve from the tank had gone bad. It was supposed to be returned but mechanic left it at the hose shop but we suspected the stainless mesh under the rubber may have been going bad. I wanted to cut it open and explore. Once replaced a rubber section of hydraulic steering line on the previous Bert and discovered it had an expiration date that had long expired. Guess their related to human arteries I learned first hand are not always maintenance free. :(
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Weight and expense. Steel is not an end all of all end alls. Get a little water in the fuel and they can rust, sending debris to the motor. It's rare with fuel lines, but I've seen it tons of time with steel water lines and once with fuel lines.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm not trying to say these don't go bad. Just replaced another GFI on our Bert (and have another one to check).
    My comment was more of when surveyors can not find any/enough recommendations; good hoses get replaced and lack-of GFIs are are always a line item.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember one of our surveyors finishing up an insurance survey, on our 34 Pequod over 25 years ago. He was sitting there in the saloon with a stare.
    Then he started smiling, looked up and stated, "no such thing as a perfect survey, took me a minute to find something wrong".
    "No label" on inverter or breaker panel to Disconnect Inverter Battery Before Servicing.
    He was correct. Took him a few minutes to think about it. This was the only recommendation on that survey.

Ever since, every inverter install I have been involved with, get several labels on the breaker panels and inverters; Disconnect Inverter Battery Before Servicing.
  11. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

The two I used (boat and engines) I thought were very thorough and after sitting down with the seller & listing broker, both of whom appeared dazed at the list of (mostly minor) items) persuaded him to accept my revised (6 figures lower) offer.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ah, purchase surveys.
    Now that is different.
    Unlike an insurance survey when you pay the guy and wish the boat report is good, prove a good insurance risk.
    A purchase survey, you pay the same guy to find every lil issue, more properly value it and guide you to make it a good insurance risk again.

Same guy working for you, just a different attitude.

So, the purchase survey pointed out the fuel hoses.
    Very correct call.
  13. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Took about a week to get the final report as discussed with the seller after the sea trial. No surprises in his "book" that included color photos of every listed item and has helped a lot in getting all ship shaped. PS Told mechanic this AM to bring me back all the old hoses when he brings the new ones. Keeps warning me how expensive the new ones will be but the way I have to look at it for my sanity, is the seller already paid for them; although they provided him a couple decades use. Not cheap toys but as they say, "no plumbers at sea." Never been towed and not planning for a first time.
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

By the time a stainless steel pipe whose interior is in contact with diesel 24/7 (without any air inside it!) will start rusting due to a little water mixed with fuel, I think you have much bigger problems to deal with, if the tanks are also made in steel - as they are in more boats than I can remember!
  15. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Previous Bertram tank was fiberglass. Now both tanks are aluminum. Mechanic just removed the last two fuel lines and one had severe cracking so as he said, they needed to be replaced.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Previous tanks on your boat, was FRP, now aluminum?
    Or, later Berts have aluminum tanks?
    And, your later Bert has aluminum tanks?

Our 45+ years old FRP tanks are still great.
  17. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

A single 400 gal. glass tank in the 1979, 38 and now 250 and 550 aluminum in this 1995, 46. Was always very comfortable with the glass as I think as long as only for diesel they last forever but have read mixed reports on aluminum although the 38 had aluminum water tank that never had any issues with so hopefully these two will not have any. Bertram does appear to have kept them well above the low points in the hull which I think is a main contributor to long life.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Bertram and Hatterass (others?) original FRP fuel tanks have a habit of reacting to large amounts of alcohol (say 10% or so) mixed with your gasoline.
    Proving once again; The whims of a few, out weighed the happiness and the budget of many.

IMO, original Bert & Hatt diesel FRP tanks are bomb proof.

I do wonder if aluminum tanks were really that much cheaper to mfg than FRP tanks?

Also, Our potable water tanks are stainless steel.
    Still look brand new.
  19. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Stainless is GREAT. Had one built 15 years ago for homes back up diesel generator that still looks like new. Probably at a cost savings for Bertram, all the more current tanks are aluminum.
    PS
    Learned my lesson many years ago to never use gasoline with alcohol in either small motors, outboards, or any in marine use after a problem with one of the wave runners. Interestingly; had two runners until recently sold; one with carburetors the other fuel injected but the fuel injected one never had the same fuel related problem. Only ever used REC 90 in the Yamaha powered 25 Contender; recently repowered with a pair of Suzuki's. Also an aluminum tank now 20 years old but so far so good. Lift stored at good drainage angle which I suspect may be a key to longevity.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're not, they're just easier to manufacture in different sizes to fit different areas. I think they may cost more as most of the fiberglass ones are between stringers.