Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Fuel filter for KAD42-PA Volvo Penta Diesel

Discussion in 'Engines' started by FLCranchi34, Apr 12, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

Engines are 1997 models...mechanical injection. Original fuel filter was VP 860873, with a water drain. Superceded to 3840335, still with water drain, then finally superseded to 21624740, now without a water drain. 21624740 is from what I can find, a 6 micron filter. That seems too coarse for a modern Bosch injection pump and common rail system on the D300 and up version of the 3.6L VP diesel...usually 2 micron is specced.

My question is, what alternative filter can I buy that has a water drain but still meets filtration specifications of the original 860873 filter from 1997? I've found several that will bolt up, but with unknown micron specs or with specs > than the 10 micron Racor R12T that are my prefilters.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Good morning
    Why are you moving away from the factory filters?

Wix (NAPA) 33472 (3472) fuel filters are at 14mic.
    Wix (NAPA) WF10024 (600028) is around 6mic.

Amazon can have them in your hands tomorrow.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The Fleetguard FF5442 is 10 Micron and very cheap, you can change them more frequently without worry.

The new Volvo filter covers the whole 4 & 6 cylinder range of 30/40 series older engines and has no sensor because everyone just threw them away.
  4. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

Because they're $45 each for the secondary filter and there's 25 years of trash in the tank. I'm going to polish the fuel next week but I don't expect to get it all out.

My experience with 5.9 Cummins engines in trucks is that there are superior aftermarket filters for a lower price out there...the OEM keeps their specs classified because they want to make money.

I would also like to have the water drain on it. 25 years ago they deemed it a requirement...why not now?

Those part numbers are great, thanks!
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  5. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

I appreciate it!
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What are you using for a mud (primary) fuel filter?
    Most water is usually trapped here.
    A few years ago, I updated the Detroit fuel filters in out ole Bert.
    Dual Racors, then a Donaldson with a mini water bowl under that, then the final secondary.

Once I got my water in tank issues fixed, I never again found any water in that middle filter.
    I keep pondering to use a cheaper filter with out the expensive bottom.
  7. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

I have a Racor R12T on each feed line to each engine. 10 micron from what I can find. There's no water in there, but there are what seems to be asphaltene particles in there and when I dip the tank I can feel crunchiness on the bottom of the tank with the dipstick. Feels like sand...but since the boat was in the midwest in fresh water and the particles in the bowl, I leaning towards asphaltenes. Boat only has 155 hours on it...spent most of it's time sitting, to include the last two years.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I would consider that R12T a bit short (small) for your engine.
    I think it was meant to be a secondary for smaller engines.

But, if it works,, never kick a sleeping dawg..
  9. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

I thought that too...I'm a fan of large capacity filters. Honestly I think they're getting partially blocked right now. I was attempting to burn the tank down since it was fuel of dubious quality. I have plenty of room in there for a larger canister. I also like bypass filtering for oil systems. I run a combo oil filter on my Cummins made by Baldwin that includes a larger canister that has an internal bypass filter in it. It's made for generator applications but it's a superior filter, especially for longer drain intervals.
  10. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

I found Baldwin BF 7772 and BF7912 for the secondary...both 5 micron absolute, but with 5"+ filter bodies so hopefully they fit in there so I can get the extra capacity. They also have water drains.
  11. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

BF7921 is the correct number
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A few of the Racor spin on use the same head. Just a taller filter.
    I'm not sure how to cross reference this.
    Here in the swamps, I would walk into a stocking store with your original filter and match the top and bottom mounting threads to the longer filters ones on their shelf.
    Bayous and swamps are different now. You may not be able to get away with this idea over tar.
    Alabama Shark.jpg
  13. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

I've had the boat out three more times now and didn't experience the "half power" phenomenon that I did during the RTB that afternoon. Definitely more of the asphaltenes in the Racor bowl though. I think a fuel polishing might be in order.
    Fishtigua likes this.
  14. FLCranchi34

FLCranchi34 New Member

Update to this. After a very rough experience in sea state 4-5, the ick that was suspended through out the tank quickly clogged the R12T filter to the point that I essentially only had idle power. Changed primary and secondary filters and was back in business. Now the R12T on the generator's line needs to be changed. Additionally, I polished the fuel in the tank through a 30 micron bowl filter and was amazed at what it sucked out....not bad for a $100 fuel polishing set up!