Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Fuel Fill Fitting Corrosion

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by 45SS, Feb 7, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 45SS

45SS Member

I have the salon pulled apart on my 1997 45SS which has given me access to areas I wouldn't normally have been able to get to. One of the things I found is that both pipe nipples that screw in to the fuel deck fills are corroded/rusted completely through 360 degrees around the nipple which appears to be galvanized pipe. Don't know why they didn't use stainless which is what I used as a replacement. Can't imagine I'm the only one with this issue. Anybody else see this?
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I had the same problem on my 1981 Ocean Yachts.
    I had to replace my pipe fill on the port tank.
    The deck plate was leaking from previous owners and contributed to the rusting through of the pipe.
    I replace the pipe the hose and all the clamps .
    The deck fill plate screws on to the galvanized pipe.
    I did not bother to use stainless it should last another 30 years or so.
    The starboard tank is still OK mainly because it never leaked on that side.

You will have to remove the deck plate the hose to the tank and all clamps to replace it . I installed new hose and clamps too.

I would say all Ocean Yacht are done this way they did not use stainless steel that’s for sure. They are a kin to Packemaker keep in mind.
  3. dewald

dewald Member

Yes sir, same thing on my 1992. replaced with Stainless and replaced the old fuel hose and brought then up to current regulations.