Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

From The Theatre Of The Absurd

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by RER, Jul 24, 2010.

1. RER

RER Senior Member

2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Ho hum, a yacht owner is LEGALLY avoiding taxes by registering their boat out of state or out of the country.

I'm just glad that it's American flagged.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Maybe it's because Kerry is a United States Senator who has voted hundreds of times to increase your taxes? Some people could see a little hypocrisy here. That could be why it made the news.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

He has also voted to lower my taxes at times.

The only hypocrisy I care about is how US Senators and Congressmen get free life time health care while denying it to the rest of us.

As to the boat thing, I'm just glad he has one so people in this industry can get some work off it.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

Yes, as am I. And it appears the lawmakers in Rhode Island are making sure that people can "get some work off it."
    It's too bad the good Senator does not have the same concern for the marine industry professionals in Massachusetts.
  6. jdpeterson

jdpeterson New Member

Just a small point: Kerry is a United States Senator, and as such has input on Federal laws and taxes, not State taxation. Only Massachusets State Lawmakers have control over their own State's taxes.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

I believe Senator Kerry's record regarding taxation speaks for itself.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If the taxes are paid or not doesn't really matter to the fourm itself.

This thread has been a political one since the start with no one actually asking or talking about the boat.

If the thread exists at all it should be in the Yacht Club section not in General Yachting Discussion IMO.
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

My point for the post was the impact of tax laws on marine industry professionals from one state to the next, and how ironic it is that this article involved an infamously pro-tax Senator of a neighboring state.

As far as where it belongs in the forums. You would know better than I on that subject.:eek:
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd have preferred he bought an American built yacht all things considered, but for homeporting Newport is such a logical place. It's got the services and it's a great place to jump off from, plus it's where she was designed. Anybody here bought marine supplies (if you can find them) or even fuel in Nantauket?:eek: $$$:eek:
  11. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Nice article from the Boston Herald about the lost economic impact of the NZ build. A few highlights...

12. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Nice article from the Boston Herald about the lost economic impact of the NZ build. A few highlights...[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought was interesting.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Has anyone given a thought to why NZ Boat Builders continue to build for non NZ Customers?

There is great value for money and quality workmanship to be had Down Under, this is well proven by the number of yachts built the for the Nth American, European and other foreign owners over the years.

Anyone with enough money to buy one of these must have been careful with his/her money to get where they are today. I am sure they know as well or better than the next person how to sniff out a deal.
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

He was careful about how he got where he is. He sniffed out a very very rich widow.
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Is the wife in this case the widow of the politician who was killed in a strange plane crash when a helicopter came up to see if the planes gear was down and crashed into the plane?
  16. RER

RER Senior Member

Yes, and now she owns all the ketchup.
  17. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

A politician who marries a rich dame, then goes out and buys a multimillion-dollar sailboat, only to keep her (the Friendship, not the Catsup Lady) out of his home state [of which he is a U.S. Senator] in order to avoid payment of sales & excise taxes is to be considered absurd?

Nope. Just SOP for the Ruling Elite.

No absurdity here, folks...move along.
  18. travler

travler Senior Member

What A Shock Another Crook On The Public Pay Role
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Nothing crooked there at all. All perfectly legal. This sounds a bit political. Is there an election coming up in November maybe?:rolleyes: I sense that a tea party has come to YF. It's poped up on a few threads already. How about we just list all incubants and challengers and the boats they own or use. We can title the thread "Political Boats". In fact I think we should include planes, and foreign built cars in that as well. Any takers? In the mean time I'll have coffee.
  20. RER

RER Senior Member

I would recommend that any boat owner take full advantage of the legal options available to them in order to minimize their tax burden.

My problem is when those who make the rules can't live by them. When a politician, whether they are Democrat or Republican, and in this case a U.S. Senator, can't live with the tax laws in their own state, there is something seriously wrong with those tax laws.

Yes, in this case it may all be perfectly legal. But it is not without a great deal of hypocrisy. In this case the Senator is sending a clear message to the people of Massachusetts. Your tax laws are taking business and the jobs that come with it away from your state. So much so that your own Senator has decided that it's smarter to spend his money elsewhere.