Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning

fresh water storage on 406

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by P noel, May 29, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. P noel

P noel New Member

We are in the market and want to look at the Carver 406, very concerned about a 70 gallon storage limitation. Is there any "space" where a bladder tank could be added. I'd like to have min of 150 gallons.
    Second question is would it be crazy to do the Bahamas in a 406?
    Thanks
    Pat
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

70 gallons is just ridiculous on a boat that size. For the Bahamas you ll need a water maker, www.seawaterpro.com has units for about $3k. We have one as a back up to our primary and it’s pretty good.

Pretty much any boat can make it to The Bahamas especially in summer. In winter you ll have to pick the right weather windows especially if going further in like to the Exumas.

besides water refrigeration especially freezer space can be a challenge for the Bahamas.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well,,,
    Are you really traveling far from a dock with water?

I don't think you will have the fuel to travel far between fuel pumps. Most fuel docks offer water.
    In the islands they may charge for water but most don't if you purchase fuel.

In my youth, in the islands, I jumped over with a bar of soap and a toothbrush.
    Before water bottles,, but about one of today's water bottles was used to rinse my eyes and private parts.
    In the islands, short hair is preferred anyway because of the heat. So that is not an issue.

Utensils also get washed on the swim platform.

If your going to the islands in a 40 footer for more than a weekend, away from the marinas every night, wilderness survival training and practical sense will be required.
  4. P noel

P noel New Member

Pascal, thanks for your reply and thoughts. We are experienced sailors that have watched for weather windows in the bahamas before, but there are time when you get caught in a system hopefully at anchor. Has anyone had experience with anchoring in different weathers with a 405-406 Carver. Common sense says theres a lot of windage, how do they handle. We like the livability of the space the 406 offers, and the price point would get us a newer boat from a more traditional trawler. Lastly are these boat just good dock babies?
    Pat
  5. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

That’s what Carver was known for Dock Baby. Good Illinois river boat or most rivers. Not a great ocean or Lake Michigan boat rolly polly. This is what I remember from owners in Illinois.

Best of luck on your search. If you are set on this boat make sure you take it out in snooty weather conditions prior to purchase of any boat not just Carver