Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Westport

Fresh water anodes 3607

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by 1000 islands, Feb 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

I have a 1989 Carver 3607 and I plan on replaceing the anodes before launching this spring.

I wonder if anybody could tell me the size of them, or are they particular to each boat ?

On my boat they are on each trim tab, the rudders and shafts.
  2. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi,

Check this thread it might be of help.
    http://www.yachtforums.com/index.php?threads/anodes.22471/

Since it seems your boat is out of water, you can easily remove the old ones, check their condition and the surface they are attached to, and determine if there is a possibility of stray current somewhere which you have to address before and when the boat is back in the water. Take them to any local marine store or order online. Then clean the location and install as needed. Tell us if you need more help or info.

Cheers.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

For most of those anode you should be able to get, and should get magnesium. We were able to get them through West marine in Albany, but they were special order. Aluminum is your second choice.
    I believe you're dealing with 1 1/2" shaft and 3" disk anode on that boat,but check what's there to be sure. Also, don't forget the pencil anodes on the motors & gen. Those will probably have to be zinc. I tried finding Magnesium or Aluminum for our motors, but all I got was blank stares.
  4. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

I thought they should be zinc.....no?

Why magnesium, is it better or... ?
  5. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi,

Quoted from the thread linked above...

6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Courtesy of Fish a few years back (2011).
    http://www.corrosionist.com/galvanic_corrosion_chart.htm

Also, if you post key word "Anodes" in the Search feature above the are a few threads covering this.

Bottom line though, Zinc for salt water, Magnesium for fresh, Aluminum can be used in either. It's not as good as either in the right water, but better than either in the wrong or in both.