Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Floating garbage in your favorite harbor : who is responsible ?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by ancora 1, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ancora 1

ancora 1 New Member

And never say "I'm not". The responsible is among us :D
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Everybody is responsible, and if feasible, I'll pick something up in the water, however..... but at the end of the day, the marina charges for berthing (and they get a darn good price for it too), and part of that payment should be for periodic trash cleanup, maintenance, upkeep, etc..

If a) people stop throwing trash in the water and b) passers by grab a piece in passing (in a slow stroll in a dink or something) and c) the harbor does their part, I think the problem goes away, but I'm one guy with one theory on it, so your mileage may vary.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Before anyone slashes their wrists about the level of fouling in their harbours caused by boaties they would do very well to find out where the city they are in has storm water outlets.

These unfiltered un regulated outlets carry any and all crud and crap off the streets straight into the harbour when it rains or the streets are hosed down.

And for the OP I would not say Monaco does this any different to anyone else.

Anyone been in the IYCA and seen the docks cleaned by HP Hi Volume hosing of all loose items straight over the edge into the harbour?
  5. ancora 1

ancora 1 New Member

Nothing to add. I totally agree.
  6. ancora 1

ancora 1 New Member

:D :D :D let's get serious. In Monaco harbor, trash comes mainly from Italy with Ligure stream.
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

K1W1 makes a good point on it as well.
    Find the source! (then KILL it!!) :eek:
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think we've all been a source of the cause at one time or another.....I've had an empty plastic bag blow off of the deck, or accidentally dropped a cleaning bottle in.

That being said, some cities and marina's clean up their area's. I pick up stuff out of the water if I am able to, within reach etc.
  9. ancora 1

ancora 1 New Member

Yes, that's why I think it's worth dealing with this topical and sensitive subject, quietly, even with humour, why not. It is always delicate to talk about soda cans floating around hulls without provoking tough reactions or controversy. It's shocking and it is not a secret.Everybody has noticed this problem and others, like arrival of jellyfishes in summer and so on....I am not an environmentalist at all but anyone who likes the world of sea and yachts has thought to this issue.

In Monaco, there are cleaning boats as well and employees walking around with nets to pick up trash.It's interesting to talk with them.One of them told me he is used to watch a huge octopus living under hulls in the rocks.