Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

First Pics of Palmer Johnson's new 150'!

Discussion in 'Palmer Johnson Yacht' started by Talon, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Would like to see the overall profile difference, between 'Coverdrive' and the new PJ150.
    With 2 of the three hulls already sold, when will we see one on the water?
  2. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Just spoke with Karen @ PJ. The new 150' was scheduled to splash last Friday, but it was delayed. They are shooting for Wednesday. She promised some amature pics ASAP, but it will be awhile before they have pro pics. BTW... the 2nd 150' is scheduled to launch next spring/summer.
  3. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Carl, Does the new PJ150 have the 3 engine config? With power in the region of 11,000HP.
    Have any of the other hulls been marked for turbines? As it would certainly be a site to see, possibly matching TWINE in performance.

Another yacht to await launch pics.
  4. YachtForum

According to the original press release, the 150' will house a pair of MTU 16V4000's under the hood (3650 hp each). I know PJ was paying particular attention to weight with this build and they also chose a full planing hull with tunnel props. That combo would favor speed. I don't know if a trio is planned, but I'll be visiting the yard in April. Maybe more insight will follow.
  5. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Cheers Carl,

Found a press release / report 1st Oct 2005, that refers to hull#1 having a triple config. What the Splash shots of hull#1!!

Report as follows:-:p :D
    When it was introduced in the late 1960s, the raised-pilothouse design for semidisplacement yachts was a welcome alternative to flush-deck and bridge-deck family cruisers, and by the end of the 1970s, it dominated the profile of yachts measuring 70 to 130 feet. However, more than a quarter century passed without anyone updating the design, until Carlo Nuvolari and Dan Lenard sketched for Palmer Johnson what will be, at 150 feet, the world’s largest raised-pilothouse motor yacht. Their design integrates the pilothouse with the sky deck living spaces so well that the yacht could almost be considered a trideck, which is the intention. Palmer Johnson wants this yacht to depart from the traditional raised-pilothouse profile.

The $30 million 150 will appear as though it could be ridden to the moon, and with its 11,250 hp powerplant, this will be nearly possible. Although this is going to be a semicustom yacht, Palmer Johnson will offer various power options. The builder is fitting hull number one with triple MTU 16V4000s, which promise a 35-mph cruising speed and a top speed of 40 mph. Her Don Blount–designed hull could go even faster with turbines.:eek:

The lower deck will have a master suite, as well as four spacious guest cabins amidships that take advantage of the 28-foot beam. The main deck will begin aft with a covered outdoor living/dining room snuggled between the lower curves of the superstructure. This area will transition to an indoor lounge with glass wall panels and sliding doors and a bar that is half indoors and half out. Forward of the lounge and informal dining area, an open staircase will lead up half a deck to the pilothouse and then to a mezzanine terrace that will function as an observation lounge between the pilothouse and the semicovered sky deck.
  6. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Should say can't wait for the splash shots of hull#1, but edit not having it!!
  7. coismov

coismov Member

Here are some images of the recently launched 150' and the 135' in Sturgeon Bay. The pictures are not of the best quality, as I did not take them myself. However, I will be in Sturgeon Bay next week and will take some more if the boats are still around. They switched to dual tone paint for these and I think it works quite well.

Attached Files:

8. YachtForum

Way to go Coismov! First published images... many thanks!!! :cool:
  9. coconut

coconut New Member

nice work coismov, alredy this pictures are great. and the two colours are perfect, better than just one.

nice job
  10. Talon

Talon Senior Member

Thanks for the pics Cosimov.
    Have you seen these trolling around the marina?

Any other pics of these fine yachts?

Jay
  11. coismov

coismov Member

Update

Regrettably, I did not get the chance to see these two vessles in person. I currently live in Los Angeles, but the images that I have were taken by my family.

When I was in Sturgeon Bay in late December, both vessels had already left. I'm actually kind of suprised there haven't been more sightings since then. Anyway, since they were no longer at the PJ's yard, I was unable to get more/better pictures. I still have a few other pictures of the 150' and the 135' and will post them once I resize them. Unfortunately none are of much better quality than the ones I've already posted.

In other Palmer Johnson news, they have broken ground for an addition on their current shed. There had been talk of expansion to the west side of Sturgeon Bay, with entirely new facilities and capacity for yachts up to 250'. Does anyone know if this has been finalized? And if so, when they will begin building?
  12. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Just been to a certain broker's website, and realised that The first PJ150 "O'Khalila" has been placed for sale. Makes me wonder if a new one is being built.