Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

Firing Order

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by DAVECAD2.0, Mar 23, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DAVECAD2.0

DAVECAD2.0 New Member

1980 2667 Santa Cruz.
    Replaced my left hand engine with a right hand. 351W. Is the firing order the same?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

In which case the opposite turning engine should have a firing order of:

1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3

(Which means the flywheel turns clockwise when viewed from behind the engine.)
  4. DAVECAD2.0

DAVECAD2.0 New Member

Thanks to all.
  5. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

Before you replace a right hand engine with a left or vice versa, you should check your transmissions.
    If you have older Borg Warner 71 or 72 series transmssions or Paragons, you cannot change the engine rotation. The pump can be re-indexed for an opposite rotation engine but "forward" will be the same rotation as the crankshaft. You would need two right or two left hand props and the boat would not handle correctly.
    If you try to get around this by reversing the control cable so that forward is reverse and you run that transmission at full load in reverse it will blow up catastrophically in short order.
    Switching engine rotation is seldom a good idea because so many other things are involved.
    If you have late model bi-directional transmissions, you might be ok but that is not likely because boats that have those already have two left hand engines.
  6. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

if that is a single engine boat with a Volvo outdrive it is a non issue.
    If it is a single engine (or twin) with Merc Alpha 1's there are similar problems.

I am curious why you are doing this since left hand engines are so much easier to come by than right hand engines and no conversion is needed.
  7. DAVECAD2.0

DAVECAD2.0 New Member

A brand new long block 351W Marine at $3500.00 was hard to pass up.
    I did check with the manufacturers prior to this. The Velvet Drive 71c was a simple pump index change and the Walter V-Drive doesn't care which way it rotates. It did not affect the direction of the shift. Forward is still forward. So far nothing has blown up.
    I had to change the prop, starter, and distributor gear.
    Yes, in hind sight I could have just changed the cam shaft in the engine which is the only thing that determines right or left. But, the items mentioned were toast anyway. The only noticeable change was docking. As you may know a single engine set up like this has a favorite side when backing.
    The reason I asked about the firing order was, during a tune-up I started second quessing and couldn't find my papers. (Went with wife I quess)

Anyway, thanks for your response.

Dave.
  8. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

If you had to change the prop then you are still running the transmission in fwd and should be ok.
    And I see, you have a single engine boat. When I first read your post, I thought you were doing this on a boat with twins.
    On a Ford 351 you can as the other poster said, move the "1" to the other end of the firing order, read it backwards and that will be correct.
    Glad it worked out!
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

You don't have to move the 1 ;)

This firing order will work too:

5-6-2-7-3-1-8-4
  10. DAVECAD2.0

DAVECAD2.0 New Member

Thanks. Good to know.