Click for MotorCheck Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

| Feadship | 94.00M | "VIVA" ex. Hull 817 | 2021 |

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by Yacht News, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

A nice yacht, she has a lot of features.
    The only thing I don't like about Feadship is that its yachts are too narrow...I would say, ridiculously narrow!
    I know that is because they have to navigate 50km of bridges, locks and aqueducts but...c'mon they have brand new facilities in Makkum and Amsterdam so...use them!
    Look at the 3 windows of the bridge deck...it looks..horrible. :confused::mad:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EvQdy6hXAAQNFPi.jpg
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yes, they are constrained by the narrow waterways and other obstacles they need to traverse. However, as you said, there is the new Amsterdam yard which isn't constrained as far as I know and they can build proper width yachts there. They would build some long yachts and then you wonder why the GT doesn't quite match the length.
  3. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

Yes, both in Makkum and Amsterdam, there are big dry docks.
    If I'm not wrong, in Makkum there are two giant halls that have dry docks of 110 and 120 metres respectively, while in Amsterdam the dock is 160x26m.
    So I really don't understand why to keep building yachts over 80m at the old facilities?
  4. Yacht News

Let's do some comparisons of Feadships that are similar in length with a few yachts from other builders of similar length. "Viva" is 94 X 13.6, "ZEN" is 88 X 13, "Musashi" and "Fountainhead" 88 X 14, "Lonian" 87 X 13.8, "Ecstasea" 86M X 11.5, "Lady S" 93M X 14.1.

Oceanco: "Barbara" 88.5M X 14.5, "DAR" 90.1 X 14.2, "Nirvana" 88.5 X 14.2, "Infinity" 88.5 X 14.2, "DreAMBoat" 90 X 14.2

Lurssen: "ICE" 90.1 X 15, "Phoenix2" 90 X 14, "ACE" 87 X 14.5, "AVANTAGE" 87 X 13.8 , "Lady Lara" 91 X 14.8

Nobiskrug: "Tatoosh" 92 X 14.9

So we see here in these few examples that on average many of Feadship's yachts are on average half to a full meter slimmer than yachts of similar length built by their competitors. Again, there are no major constraints for the other yards.
  5. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

I can understand, but talking about beam...on a yacht 0.5 m or 1m is quite relevant.
    It means a lot of space, GT...so it changes completely the perception, the look and the proportions of the yacht.
    I saw Carinthia VII (97.2 x 15,95), Madame Gu (99 x 14.85) ,Symphony (101.5 x 14.1), Mayan Queen (93.25 x 15.88), Palladium (95.15 x 16.22), Ecstasea (86 x 11,5) and Ice (90.1 x 15) in the same harbor, side by side...
    I can tell you..even half a metre make a huge difference.
    Carinthia VII, Mayan Queen and Palladium were impressive. I personally love Carinthia VII and Symphony...they were side by side and...there was no point, from the stern Symphony is too small :(
  6. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Well, not really. You still have to consider that they are two separate companies so Van Lent can do Kaag and Amsterdam and De Vries has Aalsmeer and Makuum. Depending who they contract with will dictate which yards are available. One thing to note on this build is that it could be wider but it is more slender for the hydrodynamic efficiencies.
  7. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

mmhm I don't fully agree. Talking about efficiency there are a lot of variables to take into account.
    It's like cars...for example, a MB S-Class has a cx of 0.22, the C-Class 0.24, so it's smaller but not more aerodynamically efficient.
    The same thing can happen to a big yacht compared to a smaller one. Here the big problem is the superstructure, is literally a wall in the wind! But you can manage the airflow with some design solutions, generating some vortex to minimise the drag. It's not just the performance of the hull.
  8. Yacht News

Feadship "Viva" was also transported very recently. Feadship has been busy for the year so far.

Maritna_ra likes this.
  9. Yacht News

Feadship "Viva" during her first trials.

10. Yacht News

Feadship "Viva" giving an idea how she will look at night towards the middle part of the video.

11. Yacht News

Some nice drone footage back when she launched as well as transport and sea trials.

12. Yacht News

Tight squeeze through one of the Dutch bridges. Closer look at this new vessel.

13. Yacht News

"Viva" being transported.

14. Yacht News

"Viva"...from transport to sea trials....a perspective from Feadship.

15. nmna

nmna Senior Member

I believe Viva's "air tender" will be an Airbus Helicopters H145, tail number N702FF.
  16. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

17. Yacht News

"Viva" has now been officially delivered. She should be heading to Gibraltar.
  18. nmna

nmna Senior Member

Anyone knows Viva's propulsion package? Feadship only states it as "diesel-electric".
  19. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

20. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member