Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

Engine hours

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Good Spirit, Jul 20, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    My 3608 has twin crusaders with just over 1000 hours. The compression is still very good , they run well no issues. My question is wha t is realistic for these gas engines before I need to be thinking of major repairs or rebuilds?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It just depends......1000 hours is the rule of thumb on them, but I have seen several sets that were maintained and in lighter boats that cruised north of 20 knots and went several thousand hours.....Good compression is a good rule of thumb.....remember,all it takes is a leaking exhaust manifold/riser to kill a gas engine whether it's got 300 or 3000 hours.....

I'd run them till they stop running good......personally.
  3. carguy

carguy New Member

It also depends on useage. A big difference between low rpm useage and really pushing it. Interestingly enough, I bought a Chrysler mini van 1 1/2 years ago. One of the things it tracks is engine hours. I know that marine and auto use is completely different but it was interesting to find that I'd put on nearly 900 hours in 30,000 miles.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

From what I recall that's about right you have average 33 mph, we used to do 1st Service at 1500 miles or 50 hrs