Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Burger

Engine Control Conversion

Discussion in 'Engines' started by RichV, Aug 4, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RichV

RichV Member

I'm about to move forward with converting my Hynautic controls to electronic with a SeaStar/Teleflex KE4+ system. I've been thinking about it from day one 3 years ago, as it's always been a problem. Recently I was lucky enough to check that the boat went into forward and reverse before leaving the dock. The fluid tank was empty and probably was nearly empty since I bought the boat. The sight tube was stained from the green coolant, so all along I assumed it was full.

I was planning all along to buy a Glendinning system but I found a deal on this one. It seems the companies that sell them other than Glendinning are discontinuing them.

My question is about the control cables, as they come in different sizes and the ones on the DD 671 seem to be different from what the KE4+ needs (3/16 vs 10-32). If anyone has done this conversion did you re-use your cables or get new ones?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The hynautic system is normally pretty reliable.

i m pretty sure the sea star KE4 is the same and the older Morse electronic controls. I used them a while back on 70 footer and they were pretty good over the 8 years I ran that boat. I only had one issue, twice, of course while docking on Fairhaven MA…, it was caused the cable between the servo and the gear. A mechanic had moved it which resulted in too much friction forcing the servo off line. Second time was going thru Woods Hole with its massive current. Fun on one engine :)

another benefit is that they don’t have any delay.

Is it worth replacing the Hynautic? Not so sure
  3. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I had my Hynautic system rebuilt and lines flushed and I am a year in and very pleased. The cost was approximately 12,000. Much easier, smoother action on the gears and throttles.
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I would always choose a mechanical setup over flying by wire.

What’s driving the considered change ??
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  5. RichV

RichV Member

Originally it was part being used to throttle & shift in one control, but over 3 years the Hynautic system has not worked well. It was serviced just before I bought the boat, and I'm not sure the technician had much experience with it.

Occasionally it doesn't go into gear or takes a long time to do it. The throttles don't work correctly where one travels farther to get the same rpm and therefore doesn't get the full rpm speed. When I use the Sync and forget to turn it off before going below 800 rpm, the starboard throttle is unresponsive and I have to pump it a few times before it responds. Apparently I'm not bleeding it correctly.

Electronic controls are on a lot of newer boats like the 2016 Cutwater I owned previously.
  6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

To each his or her own. A poorly functioning electronic control is going to give you fits beyond your present recognition of frustration. Best is to simply have your current system actually restored and dialed in. The systems use o-rings and seals and check valves, and they don't hold up forever, but restored and properly set up they are quite reliable.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  7. RichV

RichV Member

Ok, I appreciate the feedback. Less cash & time has value if I can get it working right.
  8. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

A Striker I ran ages ago had Hynautic and there was always a second or two delay changing gears but I suspect it was the transmissions not the controls. Once purchased 4 electronic conversion boxes & all new cables on previous boat but 3 of the 4 were fried when lightning hit a boat a couple houses away. Current boat has Hynautic and working fine. Personally I prefer to avoid electronic controls & would only consider them if a mechanical back up was available or on small boat that never ventured far from home.
    chesapeake46 likes this.