Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Westport

Drag racing

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by travler, May 28, 2012.

1. travler

travler Senior Member

Anyone on here involved in drag racing /car owner /driver/ crew member?

Just thought i would ask...

travler
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I used to campaign on an old Suzi 1280cc turbo bike that was street legal. Top 10 European quick.

My bud Squiddy, also from Antigua and Guernsey, has a dragboat. Its an oldskool 70's boat running a big block Ford with chromed headers of mad lengths, it looks like its from Scooby-doo. When that thing starts up, the whole town perks-up like a bunch of meerkats. Not breathing right yet, but we're getting there.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I used to drag race a Mustang Cobra in Fun Ford Weekend's Street Renegade class. It used to run 10.80's at 128mph in the 1/4 mile back then. Not bad for a completely streetable car with a/c, power steering, full interior, etc at full weight 3400lbs back in the 90's.......It was a lot of fun and a lot of expense.
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Racing yes, but not drag.
    Happy to share questions or info if I can.
    Most of our experience is in PCars (personally) and stock cars. Once upon a time I had a drinking buddy who was a crew chief that roped me into carrying tires over the wall and being part of the "crew", traveling, etc. some years back. that perhaps started our love for involvement in the sport more than as a spectator. We've also done some sponsorship / ownership deals in various classes in recent years.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I shouldn't be posting in this thread. I'm a wannabe, at best. On occasion, I sneak over to Palm Beach International Raceway and run my NSX. It's a thirteen second car. Not very fast by today's standards, but women don't know the difference, so I tell them twelve. ;)

A good friend, who is a local attorney, holds a couple of 1/4 mile speed records with Renntech prepped Benz's. One of them is an SLR that runs in the 9's. The other is an E55 grocery getter running in the 11's.

Here's his SLR run...
    Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 1/4 mile World Record!! RENNtech Tuned - 9.76 @ 140 mph - Road Test TV - YouTube

And his E55 run...
    E55 AMG RENNtech Mercedes-Benz - Drag Video - 11.44 @ 122 mph (199 kph) Road Test TV - YouTube

(BTW, both of these YouTube Channels; RoadTestTV belong to him. I was at the strip the day he ran 11.44 in the E55)
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Years ago my dad crewed from time to time for a Top Alcohol F/C and I got to pack 'chutes with the drivers son, clean up around the pits, ride in the tow-truck pulling the car up to the line, sit in the bed of the pickup as we drove down the 1/4 mile to pick up the F/C and bring it back to the pits.... stuff like that. Loads of fun. :D