Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

Dinghy davits problem 3607

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Moyockman, Jul 5, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Moyockman

Moyockman New Member

Well I have committed to a flawed design need help now resolving my blunder.

The glass flexes with miniscule loads. Had no idea how weak the aft cabin was.

Suggestions recommendations?

See image

Attached Files:

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you must keep that rig, a lot of beefing up on the insides will be required.
  3. Moyockman

Moyockman New Member

I want something like it. Just not sure how to beef it.

Have you seen anyone's beef stories with an aft cabin carver? Like to see what they did

I could cut the inner shell and remove the balsa core then epoxy and glass in a 2x6 or 8 to the inside of the shell of the boat. But I don't know if that would be enough. Trial and error hasn't worked all that good so far lol
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

You'd need to weld a vertical member to the base that transfers that rotational load to the primary rub rail a couple of feet below your install point. That's your nearest point of any strength in that build. Agreed that the back side of your mounting blocks need to remain or become strong. The glass is flexing now with a modest load. Movement and perhaps some inadvertently trapped rain water inside of whatever you're hanging is gonna give you a headache in short order.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Davits are usually installed with standpipes attached you the deck below. This gives the standpipes leverage to handle the loads.
  6. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Agreed. That's what my eye sees here, much more of a rotational load issue than a down force issue. Although the down force is still a significant factor that needs to be addressed with backing plates, perhaps, if not done already. Otherwise, get that rotational load to leverage against the stronger area of structure where the cap meets the hull. Perhaps that mount uses a block placed just below (immediately) the rub rail, and welds to the aluminum arms where it picks up that load. I'd assume that structure where he has these mounted is rather flimsy. Those davit arms provide a lot of leverage to the weight of the load to magnify against that small block and weak structure.

Screenshot_20210705-071453_Gallery.jpg
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

deleted post