Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Perko

DC power outlet problem

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Jnicholas, May 12, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

Ok, I give up... I need the DC power outlets to work at both the bridge and pilothouse and I am having difficulty.

First of all, there is power to each female outlet. If I plug in my charger to my portable VHF radio it receives no power. I thought maybe the male plug on my VHF was damaged so I replaced it. Still no power to charger. Took charger home and it works perfectly in the car and in my other boat.

Same problem on the fly bridge. I want to plug in a charger unit for my Ipad for back up GPS, still no power to the unit Female plug checks out with power but nothing with operate.

So I took a chance thinking the female plugs style on my 2000 voyage is different than todays style. Installed new female plugs and get same result. They glow with power, but male plugs do not engage to receive power.

So is there a special Carver designed male plug for these DC outlets I need?

thanks for any tips

Jerry
  2. SeaDragon

SeaDragon New Member

Perhaps the ground wire is missing? There should be one connected to the body of the receptacle.
  3. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

The receptacle has two leads. Hot and ground I assume. Both are connected and When tested with 12 volt tester it lights up so it is functioning properly. But does not function with male plug inserted. Yet plugs work in other receptacles. don't think it is a ground issue as I understand it
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Is it possible that the receptacles are wired backwards? If the polarity is reversed the light would glow but the charger may not work.
  5. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

My guess would be one leg of the wiring/connections to the DC female receptacle has a poor contact. Good enough to show power ( very low current) but not good enough to pass high current ( charger). You may have to trace the wires back to the battery, take each connection apart, clean and tighten.
  6. nomad69

nomad69 Member

Get a volt ohm meter and see if you have at least 12v at socket. If so then take your test light and hook it up to hot side and touch probe to ground. If it lights up you have ground. If your not sure if it's getting a good connection, take an ohm meter and check resistance from the socket connection to the +\- on the power cord.
  7. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

Alright I have a multi tester. Not real sure how to use it. Guess it is time to learn. Will give it a try this weekend. Thanks again for the help
  8. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

I'm with Capt Fred, a bad connection somewhere. It shows 12V with a voltmeter which draws almost no current but with any kind of load the loose connection causes a voltage drop. Can you check the voltage at the back of the plug with a load plugged in?

Bob