Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Davits

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DOCKMASTER, May 5, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I'm having some issues with the davit on my bow for loading and unloading my 14' RIB. It appears the wire has fouled inside somehow. We are still working to assess the problem and a fix. In the meantime, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just replace the whole thing? Who makes a good davit? I don't know what brand mine is, there is no info on it we can find. I do know it is a 1,000 lbs capacity. It is a fixed boom and has the hydraulic boom up/down and wire in/out. It's a manual rotation which isn't a big deal. What brands have you had good reliability from? Where do you even buy one from?
  2. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I replaced my manual UMT with a Steelhead (made in Canada, i think) about 2 years ago and love it. mud daubers got in there and made it where my dyneema rope would not lift the dinghy but I had a chain hoist on board for that purpose. It is fully hydraulic and i very much like it and recommend it. 2 years ago I paid 25,000 installed in Florida. It is 1000 lb davit.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve had excellent service from QuickLift. Well built.
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

According to Quicklift website they no longer manufacture new units. They are only providing parts and service. Bummer!
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

SteelHead is the closest vendor to you.
    There phone support to Florida was good when I had issues on some customers boats.
    Part support was expensive.
    It is an expensive product.
    IMO, over fancy that was not required for basic operation.
    Then, They do make basic systems. Just not for Hatteras or other big names that I have worked on.
    The structures and frames were bomb proof. All welds were the best I have ever seen in these products. Heavy plates trimmed and fared very well.
    Just by exposure, the rotation gear (stainless) seemed to rust very quickly at the teeth and drop rust every ware. Lots of grease did not help but make the deck stains worse. The drive motors drive (regular H steel) held up very well. Hydraulic (mag op) valves are not forgiving at all.
    So, I still do recommend this product because of the robust frames. Just order a KISS model.
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks all. We will do a bit of troubleshooting then go from there. If I end up replacing I would prefer to find something similar to what I have so I don't have to fuss with the deck mounting and penetration too much. Most of what I'm finding and recommended here seem to have a larger deck footprint. I'll get some pictures of the existing to see if anyone can help I.D. it.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Specs for BIG T’S on Sold Boats says you have a Marquipt davit.
  8. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I've had great success with Brower. There out of California, I believe they're still in business.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm surprised to see this as the first mention of Marquipt. They used to be considered the gold standard. Have they slipped?
    Also Dockmaster, if your cable is fouled but the davit is working why not just replace the cable? Cables rust, jam, kink and fray all the time. Replacing the whole davit seems to be an expensive fix.
  10. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Then again, if the rest is in good condition, and it is a Marquipt, why not just rebuild it?
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We had our Nautical Structure davit serviced a couple of years ago and they replaced the SS cable with Dynema (I think... or one of the new high tech lines). What an improvement.
  13. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I’m not familiar with Big T’s. Can you send me a link to what you found please? Thank you!
  14. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

We will look to repair first if possible. I didn’t know if parts were available so just looking at all options. I’ll contact Marquipt to see if I can get a service manual or other info to help. Thanks all!
  15. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Whatever your solution, move away from the stainless wire. Dyneema is now the way to go.
  16. RER

RER Senior Member

That was the name of your boat back in 2008 before it was sold and became TIGER SHARK II. Can’t send a link. Sold Boats is a member-only password protected site.
    16ED2E45-9653-4FCF-ACDC-0A17DC2AA9CA.jpeg
    B8F1C287-A830-4379-902E-81C239575DA9.jpeg
  17. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I knew the boat was originally delivered as the Century Star and was Tiger Shark II when I bought it. I vaguely recall something about Big T's now that you mention it but don't recall seeing the info you just provided. Thank you!
  18. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I made some calls to all brands mentioned here and more. 9-12 weeks lead time due to Covid. Yikes.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Repair sounds better and better.
  20. Capt Cole

Capt Cole Member

Brower is no longer n business. Some parts still available from former distributors, but that's it.