Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Mulder

D284xLE4xx Repair Manual

Discussion in 'Engines' started by butch w, Apr 9, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. butch w

butch w Member

Any one know if the
    CRANKCASE BREATHER OIL SEPARATOR
    is a serviceable item, meaning is there a way to clean them or do you just leave them alone etc. Or if they need to be cleaned/serviced what is the preferred method, thanks

I have D2848 LE403's. I believe the it is the same part for many of the mechanical engines in the 284....style

Thanks for any input
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember this. Well, bits and pieces.
    Some slow brain cells on this were dissolved a few years ago (lack of use).

Case vent and the case gases went before the turbo. Just a trap consolidating the oil to drain back into the block.
    Don't remember anything in the manual.
    I recall tearing into a high hour 900CRM. Clean as a bell. Never touched another.

Our brother mapism Is a great source and hopefully he can chime in.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I'd go for the latter.
    Unless there's any specific problem you need to solve, but FWIW I never heard of any related to that component.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I'm a little hazy on details and don't have the info on board with us just now...

But I'm pretty sure it was the crankcase breathers that we replaced on our 423s -- to a newer version -- since we were seeing some slight oil burp out the dipsticks, and our MAN guy suggested the older style was the cause.

Might not be relevant to the 403s.

-Chris
  5. butch w

butch w Member

Thank you all for the input, I have had them sitting on the bench for a week and no oil has ran out of them and air flows through them just fine. So I assume all is well with them and they are working as they should.

I didn't know if they required a cleaning similar in fashion to say a K&N style filter.