Click for Northern Lights Privacy Matters Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

Curiosities in Hamburg (Not only properly yachts, but all ships' about...)

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by MKM Membership Revoked, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Today just entered another China Ship Barge bringing 5 new Port Cranes to the Container Terminal, even when the movement is weaker than last years. Last summer was also one here. Pic below: ZENHUA23

Attached Files:

2. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Greetings,
    HOLY COW!!!!! I wouldn't want to be on THAT vessel in a beam sea. Thans for the pic. MKM.
    Peter
  3. Thanks Peter (Savasa) you know, those cranes are of about 60m high, CG point is really high to be afraid of weight balance, and those china ships were old cargo/tankers transformed in barge special for that transport. They travel only in very top weather conditions, calm waters, so no problem at all, but take some months from Asia until here. I just thought in doubt, some very special curiosities like that in general ship marine cargo could be great for site as well, when sharing the info. :)
  4. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

Very interesting shot. Thanks MK!
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It just looks awful. The cranes don't weigh much and the stability of the ship is no different than when carrying any other cargo. Loading the ship requires very careful attention to wind and weather conditions but once loaded it is not really any different than any other voyage except for a good reason to avoid very strong winds.

As counter-intuitive as it might seem, the less stability the ship has the better it rides and the lower the stresses are on the cranes. A vessel like a barge with high initial stability will roll very quickly and the accelerations on the upper portions of the cranes can cause a lot of damage. A ship with less stability will actually have the axis of roll well above the top of the cranes and the system acts like a pendulum as the ship will sway out of phase with the wave period.
  6. AidaAura

----->

Attached Files:

7. AidaAura

She completed her day!

Attached Files:

8. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Greetings,
    Hmmm.. just out to sea to flush her tanks?
  9. Le Grand Bleu

Not really curiosity in Hamburg, but she already came back from Sea Trial passed Cuxhaven... Seems works finished in Yard at Wewelsfleth, 40km north-west of HH.
  10. Deutschland, Le Boreal, Noordam

1. DEUTSCHLAND: Left B+V today 8 AM for Sea Trial. Passed already Cuxhaven. Seems the last checks before re-first cruise on 03.07. She comes probably today night or tommorow morning for cruise terminal where beeing prepared with all services to continue the travels.

2. LE BOREAL: This beautiful yacht-cruise recent lanched ship is for first time in Hamburg. She came at 5.45 AM today to cruise terminal.

3. NOORDAM: This Holland America Line almost new cruise ship and big ship is in refit at B+V Dock 17. She entered also today morning at 5.30 AM.

Yachts: ECLIPSE, ORCA, NAHLIN & MYLIN 4 still at same positions in docks 12, 5, 4 right & 4 left. Actually at night both Eclipse & Nahlin changed each other their positions. Mylin seems in a huge delay. Still miss-understanding problems? Not seen already someone making pictures of her there. She is not under covered. Actually she should have been already in travel. I don't know either how her huge refit came out, neither interior pics.
  11. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

I assume you're talking about "center of gravity".
    Those guys must have done some pretty serious calculations before proceeding with the transport.
    Thanks!
    :)
  12. Peterswerft visit - Wewelsfleth

Ok, today I went personally to see the marina and installations of this Shipyard, some 65km far from Hamburg. There has some repairs in LE GRAND BLEU, which its sail boat BELLATRIX is in marina, I mean berthed in water pier nearby, as well as the small motor yacht behind. I went close at pier and made some side-by-side pictures, very nice btw. LONE RANGER is berthed together what was a beginning another yacht, but the construction was just left in middle. In shipyard has a pretty new Feeder just finished for sale, passed already the sea trials and another 'under-construction' ship. Well I talked with some guy there and he told me many stories about the future and what happened with those vessels and how things had gone with them. But I think those stories I can't announce here, neither the pictures. Some moderator would probably not like. :p Anyway someone did an approach as well and has uploaded in AIS marinetraffic site.