Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker

Corinth Canal Closed Due to Landslides

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Ken Bracewell, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

That's a scary looking canal when it's right. Making notes to take the long way around. Of course, easy for pleasure boats but not for commercial.
    Ken Bracewell likes this.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

It's a worthwhile passage through the Corinth. Cool for both guests and crew.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Not cool for me. My wife thinks it looks cool though. Looks anxiety provoking for me. I've been in landslide areas in the NC mountains but the other side was open. I've been in very large locks (in terms of lift and depth) and was fine. I've been in narrow canals. However, that canal combines the worst of all combinations.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just looking at those canal walls, You know something is going to slide off.
    Just don't know when...
  6. menkes

menkes Member

dear friends
    knowing the canal for more then 50 years it's still a very mportant seaway for greece
    fifty years ago i crossed it as a passanger on a car ferry of 5000 ton (big enaugh to sail from haifa to brindizi)
    since then i expirianced many crosings mainly pleasur boats and I have never encountered such a case
    But believe me the Greeks are already working on clearing the canal and repairing it within a few months