Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Converting Salt Water to Fresh Water

Discussion in 'Watermakers' started by paulvancouver, Dec 14, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. paulvancouver

paulvancouver New Member

What do you guys use to convert salt water to fresh water? Do you know of any specific makes or companies that produce these machines?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

from pretty cheap to very expensive depending on your requirements... you dont' even tell us what size boat you'd be putting it on.

google "marine watermakers", you'll get a lot of hits. take a look at Sea Recovery for instance
  3. paulvancouver

paulvancouver New Member

Thanks Pascal, I will search with those. Do you have one on your boat? Did it come with the boat when you bought it or did you install it separately?

I worked with someone that either assembled these or installed these on boats. He shipped them to places such as Turkey. I know the cost was in the thousands of dollars. I don't have a vessell though I'm interested in this as a business venture.

Paul
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They are usually installed after the sale (under 100'), but can be an option on sizes under 100' from the factory. The companies that are involved have been doing it for a long time. a 30 gallon per hour unit goes for over $10,000 (a common size for a 60' power yacht)
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There are tow methods used on vessels.

High Pressure filtration- What is known as Reverse Osmosis and Flash Evaporation- re uses waste heat and jacket water to save energy.

If you worked with someone who assembled or installed them on boats why don't you ask him for some advice?

The established Players have a pretty solid customer base and there are often new startups that fizzle out after a while as their quality is not what it needs to be for the operation.

I am currently installing twin 30,000 Lt (7923 US Gal) a day R.O machines on a large yacht which might have to be upgraded if the pool gets much bigger.