Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay

Cold Molded Rybovich

Discussion in 'Rybovich Yacht' started by Ricochet, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Any thoughts/first hand experiences on how well a cold molded hull is suited to the northeast US climate ... heard that the different coefficient of expansion of the encapsulated wood vs. glass/resin could potentially lead to hull cracking over a period of time ... thanks
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Rybovich sea keeping

am hearing that Rybovich SF are not good head-sea boats and will pound ... any comments?
  3. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Cold molded

I take care of a cold molded sailboat with a jet black hull, no problems other than print-through, which is to be expected and will not be an issue after the next spray job.
    I wouldnt anticipate a Rybovich would have any of these issues you are concerned with.
  4. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

We had a cold molded 1955 Huckins that we brought up from Texas in 1961. It's still in Connecticut to this day. Plenty of other cold molded boats in the northeast as well. This includes Ryboviches of virtually all age.

It's all in how you maintain it. That is, if you don't maintain a boat, eventually it will fall apart no matter what it's made of.

I haven't experienced (significant, excessive, or abnormal) head-sea pounding in a Rybovich up to 9-10' (3 meter) seas. I suppose if you're on a 4X-foot boat trying to run 30 knots head on into 4' chop on top of 6' rollers, you might beat the boat apart, but that might be true of just about any small boat.

Where had you heard these pieces of "information?"
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Seafarer, ...
    an opinion shared by some charter professionals that I have no reason to distrust ... from your response, do you or did you own a Rybo and are sharing your personal experience as to her performance ... just trying to solicit as much detailed info from as many users as possible to help make the right decision and not second guess ourselves later on.

Thank you so much ... really appreciated
  6. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

We had a Rybo for a season (not the one in my avatar). There are a lot of other boats that pound harder. Rybos aren't heavy slugs, so they won't just plow through waves, it's true. But pounding excessively? Not in the 50' range at least.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Thanks, Seafarer ... could you briefly relate your "likes" & "dislikes" ?
  8. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

do you realize that every rybovich is different ???