Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Cold? It's Winter.....

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by PropBet, Jan 9, 2011.

1. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey

Northern Britain and Scotland are in the grip of ice and snow, so it seems like a good time to talk about the expression "brass monkey weather". This idiom is used to indicate that the weather is very cold: It's brass monkey weather today, isn't it!

This usage stems from a longer phrase: It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. This is generally perceived as a humorous reference to some unfortunate brass monkey who loses his testicles if the weather is too cold. However, as The Guardian reports, the phrase has quite another origin:

During Nelson's time, a brass monkey was a triangle of brass attached to the ship's deck. Cannonballs were stacked in a pyramid on the brass monkey to stop them from rolling loose. Brass, like all metals, contracts as it gets colder. When the temperature was sufficiently cold for the brass to contract enough, the cannonballs would escape from their confinement.

So the expression has nothing to do with monkeys or testicles, just basic science!

Attached Files:

2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

No, PB. You're just fine in your input.

Just saw a monkey running up the street clutching his groin. :D

Going to the office in your sailing thermals and long-johns is no fun. Just taking a pee is a 1/2 hour process and a lot of funny looks.

Goddammit, summer can't be that far away, can it? :confused:
  4. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

summer? we have it here all the time ... perfect t-shirts & shorts weather all year 'round ...

:D :D
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Max, I could say some very, very naughty things at this point but its too chuffing cold to bother. :D
  6. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

hehehe ... go for it buddy ... don't hold back now ...

:D :D :D
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've read what snopes has to say, and, although old, I was not around in the 18th & 19th centuries so I can't claim 1st hand knowledge. But I would like to point out that the gun deck was not generally the main deck, at least not on Old Ironsides. The first time I heard the brass monkey explanation was from the guide aboard the U.S.S. Constitution, and it made sense to me. However, I would love to hear from someone who has access to a ship's inventory from those days to find exactly what that brass plate was called.
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thank you Marmot. After checking that and several other sources it does indeed appear to be urban legand. Have to re-educate that tour guide one of these days. Cadets, humph:D In the mean time it's been freezing them off an old Irish monkey here in NY for a few days and the snow blower will be out (again:( ) by Wednesday. So looking forward to Spring.
  10. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Here's a real cold monkey!

Attached Files:

12. 61c40

61c40 Member

This monkey isn't cold he's in a naturally occuring hot spring in Japan and I think he is a "macaques" for the last 40 years they have used the the hot springs as a way to keep warm in the winter
  13. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

I wish we had brass monkeys.
    There's one nicking my mango's every morning and trying to steal my partners bra's from the laundryrack on the balcony.
    Probaply not cold enough for brass monkeys here...

Attached Files:

14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member