Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights

cleaning plexiglass boat windows?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by MysticDolphin, Sep 16, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

on the 4207 there are large sections of plexiglass on the boat.. has anyone found a particular product that cleans it up and makes it look clear.. ive tried some average plastic cleaners without very good results.. i use to use a product that i used on my motorcycle windsheild but it eventually yellowed it so dont really want to use it...
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I use Plexus exclusively. I even use it on my bike windshield, tank, chrome, etc. Decent protection, and stays clear. I use it about every 3 weeks. Once plexi-glass clouds or gets serious scratches though I've never found anything that brings it back satisfactorily. Best protection I've found though is a whack to the back of the head of a boat washer I see getting near it with a brush.
  3. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

thank you sir for your quick reply.. wil get me some and give it a go.. so far no preasure washer or dulling.. just hazy ...
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Plexus works ok and is the easiest. If you want it to last longer, clean them with aquatech or imar strataglass cleaner, then wax them with Collinite insulator wax or Imar strataglass wax/polish.
  5. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

thanks for the suggestion... work is not an issue as I really want to put the luster back in my boat.. where can I get this stuff... I have a local west marine but don't remember seeing anything you mentioned capt j... will also use plexus and see how they both work..
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you go into your local West Marine, they can get them in usually the next day if you pay for them. They carry them on their website. Use the IMAR cleaner first, then either the IMAR polish or collinite insulator wax second.....

COLLINITE Insulator Wax, 16 Oz. at West Marine

IMAR Cleaner at West Marine

IMAR Polish at West Marine
  7. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I started using sea-shield products last year. I recently finished my first season with them and here is what I did and my results.

I have strata, vinyl, and makralon. I used sea shields nano coating on some and their exhaust guard on the rest. The year before I had lots of black steaks that were hard to clean off. This year, soap and water cleaned it most weeks, and just the sea shield detailer to get the rest.

Fairly easy to apply, but more work that plexus. Lasted from mid April to about September. Not quite a whole season, but I wash a lot.