Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Burger

Chris Craft Connie 501 Forum

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by Courtship, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Courtship

Courtship New Member

Hi - I may have posted this in the wrong place yesterday (still learning!). I seem to recall a Forum for the 501 a while back. Am I dreaming? If not, does anyone know if it's still around? If not I guess I can start a thread here, eh?

My wife and I have a 1990 (supposedly fairly rare) galley up model that I'd like to find out more about. I've had CC's for 30 years but details on the 1990 are hard to find. I understand that was the year that CC sold new hulls (10 or so?) to an outfit in Ft. Lauderdale to finish.

Any info would be appreciated!

Steve
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The Chris Craft 501 forum (on another site) is long closed. I have indexed the keywords "Chris Craft Connie 501 forum" with YF's SEO technology. In a few hours, YachtForums should top a Google search for the same.

I did the same thing for Chris Craft Roamer owners a few years ago and it has flourished. Give this thread some time and others should join in. With enough active members, we will set up a dedicated forum.

There's a very good reason WHY we host forums for various brands. The collective knowledge of various yacht owners, captains, engineers, brokers, buyers or enthusiasts gives each brand; each forum; an incredible resource. While our boats may be different, the equipment, materials, maintenance, navigation and procedures remain the same.

Many brand-specific forums have failed, especially for boats or models no longer in production. At YachtForums, the traffic and exposure generated for ALL of the forums exponentially increases the success rate and propagation of an individual forum. In August, we exceeded 354,000 readers. And we're going higher.

BTW... I'm a huge fan of the 501. It was WAY ahead of its time in layout and design. It's hard to find a better boat for the money and it has strongly withstood the test of time.
  3. Courtship

Courtship New Member

Thanks for the information! The more I dig into this boat the more questions I have. Imagine that. Today's question is on inverters. CourtShip has a Xantrex 30 that is throwing an overheat code (error 6, I think) that can also relate to a short in the system. The problem cropped up overnight - nothing changed - and I'm at a loss as to what might be causing it.

Anyone have this problem - or one similar?

Thanks,
    Steve
  4. biminijimini

biminijimini New Member

m/y ELEGANCE

Hello COURTSHIP~

I am in the process of purchasing a 1987 "501" in Canada this fall. A lot of boat for the money! Not so sure of the V6-92TA's though... the vessel has 1300 hours and the owner tellls me they are in excellent shape and don't burn oil.. he runs them at hull displacement speed most of the time except to clean them out every four hours.. I was impressed with that vessel first time I saw her...

biminijimini
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I am a yacht broker and have represented the sale of quite a few 501's over the years. I have some knowledge and will be happy to help as I can.

The 6v92's have a spotty rep, mainly as a result of their use in sportfish boats where they get run hard, all the time. In motoryachts, they typically get run at a lower RPM, where they have much better longevity. I sold a Chris 500 Connie a few years back that had 3500 hours running time on a pair of 550 HP 6v92's. At contract, I advised the purchaser that it would be prudent to budget for a rebuild. Pre-purchase engine survey proved machinery to be healthy. Surveyor commented that "these engine have likely been run at 1500 RPM's their entire life". Engine life is more about total gallons of fuel that has passed through the engines, as opposed to total hours running time.

The 501 Chris is a great model. Lots of bang for the buck.
  6. Courtship

Courtship New Member

501s and 6V92s

Hi Biminijimini - I have the same 6v92TAs that you're looking at and that SeaEric talks about. We bought ours with about 1700 hours on them and had the oil analyzed. Report was that wear was normal but to run them a bit harder, change the oil more frequently for a couple rounds and resample. (The boat had been sitting for a few months) I did that and everything looked good at 1900ish. I was told to run mine frequently at about 90% because of them being Turbo/Aftercooled. My math put this at about 1900 rpm (chime in if I'm way off base). So far, so good.

Steve

PS. For SeaEric - do you have much knowledge of the 1990, galley up versions? I'd love to find out more about them.
  7. biminijimini

biminijimini New Member

Courtship~

90% sounds a little hard to me but I'm no expert when it comes to diesels but being a farmer for years I know most diesels have recommended RPM to run at throttle too... I hear from others saying that running them at hull displacement speeds (1300 RPM) are the best but one needs to "push them" at higher RPM's to clean them out. But now remembering they are turbo and watercooled makes sense to run them a little harder too. My CC Cornathian 331 have 360 Chrysler Marine which I run fairly easy but do put it on plane often during the day. I do "open it up to 95%" at least coming home to dock for a few minutes. The present owner of the 501 says he doesn't run it very hard at all.. Good or Bad thing?? I don't know maybe. I know the engine temperature has to be in the normal operating range or you're hurting the engine big time!

biminijimini
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

There were not many galley up 4 stateroom 501's built. I was aboard one a few years ago in Fort Lauderdale. I believe that they are mostly 1990 model year, and have the oak interior. My personal impression was that the deckhouse saloon is so small with half being consumed by the galley, that there is not enough remaining seating space for the number of people for which there are berths. It may work quite well for charter, or a large family. When the 4 SR boats come on the market, they do sell.
  9. Courtship

Courtship New Member

I agree on the tight pilothouse. My wife fell in love with the galley up though, so it was a no-brainer! Actually, while the pilothouse and salon are a bit smaller than the galley down we feel there's more livable area with the galley up. It's also nice to have an extra stateroom when there are more than four people aboard for a trip. We've done a five day trip with three couples and surprisingly we never felt crowded.

Winter projects should start soon so I'll be picking brains again!

Happy Holidays!
  10. biminijimini

biminijimini New Member

The only con opinion I heard about the galley up was that being higher on the vessel would perhaps cause for more concern in the galley with wave action with the center of gravity and its effects on cooking and dealing with galley duties while underway. Not sure if that is sure and its all on what the owners like about their 501. But being lower on the first deck I would think would cause less movement than being higher on the vessel...

biminijimini
  11. scottflys2

scottflys2 New Member

Hi I also have a 501 galley up no problems with cooking under way. Do you have the bunk beds in bow or a queen? I haven't seen one with a queen in bow. thanks gemba
  12. Tim Martin

Tim Martin New Member

I know this is an old thread, but we are looking at getting a CC 501, wife loves the layout, or a Hatteras 52 MY. I am very aware of the Hatteras ability as a blue water boat, but does anyone have input on the seaworthiness of the CC501?