Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta

Cat C18 ACERTS - any issues I should know about?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by GPO, Nov 12, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. GPO

GPO Member

My current boat has Cummins QSC 8.3 HO 550 engines. I'm looking to move up. A broker is suggesting I look at a boat with C18 ACERTS, 2012 build dates, just under 800 hours. I have no operational experience with Cats. Before I even consider looking at the boat, much less engine surveys and oil analysis, are there any issues I should know about first?
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

You will likely get many opinions that may differ greatly. What hp are they and what hull type are they in?
    IMHO, the C18 is arguably one of the best, most reliable engine out there in it's hp range. Yes, I'm biased as I repowered with C18's a year ago. But I went with C18's because they are good engines.
    We have used the C18's in several commercial series boats we have built and they have been great. Many of them well past 10k hours with no major issues.
    I barely have 100 hours on mine so far but really happy with them.
  3. GPO

GPO Member

Good points.
    I should have included this info - 1015 hp, 58 Riviera enclosed flybridge, 63'4" LOA.
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

The C18's are probably the best thing about that boat. Do your homework on Riviera. A simple search on this forum will yield lots of good insights. I don't know how Riviera quality emerged after they went BK in 2009. They are a production, price point boat. Not saying that's bad, just suggesting research heavily to make an informed decision.
  5. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

I am contemplating a new to me boat that has 09 C18s at 1000 hp. Then some of similar vintage have C18’s at 1135 hp. I assume that is a software upgrade. Dockmaster do you have any feedback on C18s of this vintage and horsepower? Thanks for your time.
  6. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

Over 3500 hrs on both vintage c18s. Don't know if it was software or larger coolers and injectors ect on the 2 versions. Great motors regardless of hp range. Lots of torque easy to work on, great cat service in area boat is kept in most times. The nc charter guys use them for a reason. As with all marine propulsion age and maintenance are bigger issues. You'll never wear them out but you can quickly neglect them to death.
  7. GPO

GPO Member

Good advice! I happen to be familiar with Riviera. Currently own a 41 Riviera open flybridge (46 LOA). It's a 2009 build that I bought as a demo boat in Jan 2012 with very low hours on the Cummins QSC 8.3s.

As an aside, I find the phrase "production, price point boat" interesting, having seen it used many times on this forum. I view it as a relative term because price points vary. The higher the price point, the higher the build quality. In other words one gets what one is willing to pay for.

Except for custom builds aren't most boats "production, price point" boats? An example of an exception might be Flemings. My understanding is that Flemings are built to a certain standard, with all of the best components available at build time. The resulting price is arrived at after adding their profit margin. So this builder isn't targeting a price point. I greatly admire Flemings, btw, with friends who own them. I'm just not ready to cruise that slow.

Wouldn't Vikings, excellent builds, be "production, price point" boats too, albeit at a high price point? Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Back on topic. For coastal cruising/fishing in the PNW my Riv has met my needs. So at its price point I find the build quality acceptable. I've cruised extensively up the north central coast, halfway to Alaska, exploring and fishing. I've been in some really snotty conditions and never felt unsafe. Not saying the ride wasn't wet, though! (That's what flybridge windshield wipers are for.)

Finally, doing my due diligence on whether or not to buy a new build, I've visited the Riviera factory in Australia and inspected various builds in progress, at all stages from bare hulls to completed builds. I haven't many factory tours to compare, but I was impressed. Also, a factor in my decision to buy a Riviera was its popularity here in the PNW and good maintenance support in the Seattle-Vancouver area by quality people very familiar with Rivieras. I humbly suggest that I'm reasonably well-informed.

P.S. In 2011 -2012, as part of my due diligence back then, I spoke with the receiver at FLIBS and subsequently met the new owner (Rodney Longhurst).
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

"production, price point boat"

IMO; Starts with Bayliners and Muts and may get better from here.
    Now, please keep in mind, I liked Bayliner. Owned a 28 Trophy for many years.
    Just they are the Bugs and not Rolls of the highways.
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Your points are all valid and exactly what I was trying to convey. I'm not knocking Riviera. If they meet your needs in your price point then great! This is exactly why there are different price point manufacturer's. Just like with cars. Yes, I would consider Viking a production boat. But the price point is much different than say Sea Ray or Bayliner which are also production boats. Hence the price point comment.
  10. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

1136 hp is currently the max offered in the C18 and is an E rated. I'm not 100% certain but I believe the 1136 has lower compression and higher boost pressure than the 1000 hp. Certainly the fuel curve is different and I believe the coolers are sized a bit different as well.
  11. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Back on topic. For coastal cruising/fishing in the PNW my Riv has met my needs. So at its price point I find the build quality acceptable. I've cruised extensively up the north central coast, halfway to Alaska, exploring and fishing. I've been in some really snotty conditions and never felt unsafe. Not saying the rde wasn't wet, though! (

Let me know when you decide to make the trip all the way to Alaska. I would be happy to help in any way and show you some good local fishing spots around the Ketchikan area. I've made the trip from Puget Sound up and it is a remarkable journey. Pretty easy traveling actually. I'm hoping to go down to Puget Sound and back up again in the near future.
  12. GPO

GPO Member

Thank you! A friend (in another larger Riviera) has a trip planned for this summer and is suggesting I join him. Other friends (in an OA and a Grand Alaskan) have buddy-boated up and back and recommend it. We'll see.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Make sure to change the aftercoolers every 6 years and that they've already been changed, price it. Because if they haven't you're going to want to change them immediately. Other than that great motors.
    cbdPost likes this.