Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

CAT Aftercooolers — and whats Real

Discussion in 'Engines' started by luvtocruise, Jun 24, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. luvtocruise

luvtocruise Member

I am in a quandry — Just bought a boat with 3406e’s. 2850 hours on each of the 2 in the boat. Teh boat was super clean. The engine room was super clean, hardly anything turned up on the survey mechanical or otherwise. The after coolers were replaced and upgraded to the new style 7years and 700 hours ago. At 2140 hours they also did the 3000 hours maint to the motor and rebuilt and blueprinted the turbos at 2140 hours. So these coolers have 700 hours on them — they have been flushed every 2 years, boat is in Saltwater.

I spoke too the mechanic that has been maintaining the boat for the last 10 years. He is a certified CAT mechanic, but has his own shop now after 20+ years with the dealer. He has been in business for 10+ years on his own. I will be using him as well going forward.

He said (and I have receipts from seller) that he just a couple months ago flushed and cleaned these and then pressure tested them and they are fine. He would change them, but I’m just throwing money down the drain. He suggested if I am truly worried— we Sonic clean them, pressure test them and I thought maybe I could boroscope them? Nort sure if they are tubes or plates. Either way closely inspect for any corrosion.

Manual say change — seems a little over the top, but I understand the importance of these— so what would you suggest/do?
    Plan is to hang out and address all survey items/Learn the boat for the remainder of this year — then after the first of the year— go to Bahamas for a 2-3 month cruise
    Ask on Boat diesel — no real reposes in 24hours — maybe they dont want to touch this issue
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It is a sad state.
    Cat inter-coolers have been failing without any warning.
    Some have been lucky and gone years without issues. Others have not lasted a couple of years.
    Since the factory has not a clue, They have set a replacement schedule.
    CYA, replace the dam things and cruise well.
  3. luvtocruise

luvtocruise Member

Dang boat — bail out another 15k
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

BOAT; Bend Over & Take It.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sad part, I really luv the 3406's. Didn't think they would be effected by Cats FU.
    But now, All Cat products are suspect and all require air cooler replacement.

Cat has not a clue what air coolers are good or bad from their vendors.
  6. luvtocruise

luvtocruise Member

1Yep —I knew this when I bought back in — I guess I thought THIS TIME IT WOULd BE DIFFERENT !!!— Lol — no lube — no reprieve and a big fat -your a big man you can take it—- pay to play…
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Follow the manual.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Follow the new manual.
  9. luvtocruise

luvtocruise Member

Yep Dammit! — I guess I gotta pay to play— oh well — it is what is is— I personally think that phrase must halve been first uttered by a boast owner!— TY
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The amazing thing is; 40+ year old Detroit inter-coolers still work fine.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Robertoman and rtrafford like this.
  11. luvtocruise

luvtocruise Member

Dammit— thats what I am talking about —these tested fine they were changed 7 years and 700 hours ago and then tested fine 4 months and 20 hours ago and help pressure and have been cleansed and now I need to change them to the brand new ones just because a lawyer (I hate Lawyers) said to the Cat folks— here’s how you CYA— let everyone of these minions spend 20K — they are dumb and are locked in what are they really gonna do???
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Are you under an extended warranty?
  13. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Wait a minute here, what exactly does the manual say? Does it say replace them at 3,000 hours or seven years, whichever is greater? You only have 700 hours on yours- correct?
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Tough one... it s mostly a case of Cat CYAing themselves most likely because of lawyers. Yes the original design had issues but these were fixed with the new design.

now if it makes you feel better, divide the replacement costs by 7 years and you ll see it’s peanuts in the overall budget
  15. luvtocruise

luvtocruise Member

Of course not— no warranty — but CAT guys assure— if it goes sideways with new stuff and a cert CAt Instsll I’m protected— meanwhile— I am begging insurers to take my money — this is crazy! It’s one giant sucking sound designed to extract cash for nada!!!!
  16. luvtocruise

luvtocruise Member

Manual say 6 years— replace because they had a lawsuit— so… they simply said 6 years or x # hours — its like 10k hours
  17. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Is this based on the new style coolers or the original ones?
  18. luvtocruise

luvtocruise Member

New— at the 3000 hour they upgraded to the new skins are the upgrade as well as the current coolers are the new style they had the parts machined and it has the new coolers in it as well as the “covers” or the other parts are the new style — its all new style
  19. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Well, are you a gambler? I like to go to Vegas and have some fun. But I do NOT like to gamble with my boat. Especially when it carries precious cargo that I want to ensure makes it home safely. I won’t take that gamble to save a few bucks. How will you feel if you’re offshore and those coolers let go? Highly unlikely both would fail but who knows. Plus for me, just the stress of continually worrying about the coolers would not be worth it to me. I would pony up and replace if it were me.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

CHANGE them. I personally know of 4 CAT motors, that lead a very early death from aftercoolers leaking, 3 of them C18's.