Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for JetForums

Cat 3196 Aftercoolers

Discussion in 'Engines' started by RossC, Jun 24, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RossC

RossC Member

I heard there was an issue. They are in a 2000 Sea Ray 480 Sedan. 1500 hours on both. Is there a way to tell if the aftercoolers have been properly dealt with by looking at them? I've heard that Cat did get them right after a while. Thanks
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

Contact your local Caterpillar dealer. Give them the engine serial numbers and they can tell you when they were done and who did them. I’ve done this for every 3196 powered boat that I’ve sold.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What do you mean by this?
    Cat does not use KY jelly and has never got it right...
    It will always be a poor gamble using an out of warranty Cat after air cooler.
    Cat has the solder down to a near perfect time destruction,, one day after warranty.

IMO, to many original 3196 CACs out there. Not a problem till they were replaced? Are your CACs (Charged air After Coolers) original?
    IMO, they had it right years ago.
    IMO, they changed the solder formula to make them un-serviceable.
    1550CCED-90A5-4F91-BD9A-B1034B667A00.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  4. RossC

RossC Member

What I know from service records is that a 1000 hour was done in 2018.

After coolers cores removed.
    Stbd was bad so core was replaced.
    Port was cleaned and reinstalled.
    All heat exchangers, fuel coolers and trans coolers were inspected and cleaned.
    Valves adjusted.
    Replaced All belts and hoses.
    Replaced Stbd turbo cartridge.
    Replaced both coolant circulator pumps.
    Replaced both boost sensors and elbows.
    Replaced Stbd oil pan gasket.
    Replaced both raw water impellers.

A solid engine survey is a must here. Cat recommends core replacement every 6 years. Going by service records, the stbd is coming up due and the port is far over due. This boat has been in brackish, almost fresh, water for the past 8 years so that could be preserving the cores. This a 48' 52' OA. Way more boat than we need, but the price is attractive and it's relatively local.

Saw a guy at the marina the other day with a Post with Cat engines. He had installed a T between the sea strainer and engine. He hooks a hose to the T after every trip and does a fresh water flush. He runs the engines with the hose attached. Seems to me that the engines are drawing more than the hose can provide so at best you are getting a flush with less salty water, not fresh water. Has anyone set their boat up for something like this? Is it worth doing?
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It is still a 3196.
    Noah considered one for the arc but deemed it was to old,, then..

They are a brute of an engine but not a race horse. @ 12L, it could make some reliable HP.
    Just parts are getting thin and expensive.

Huckins installed a few of these. These had air starters. Really cool starting them up. Light up the SpeedAir compressor, when it cycled off, hit the air box heater and push the button, zing, zing, zing, Varoom. I luv air starters.
    Some are still out there. Later replaced by the Cummins 11L (QSM).
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Perko makes a strainer mod that can take a garden hose at the strainer lid.
    At idle, you just could get enough water before sucking the hose flat.
    IMO, not worth the effort.
    My 45 year old Detroits have no salt water issues. As far as I know, original cores.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Okay that appears to be regular maintenance. My post referred to the factory after cooler retrofit replacement done by CAT as a result of 3196 lawsuits.
  8. RossC

RossC Member

I've taken this 48 off the list. Too much boat for us. Might also be dodging a bullet with the aftercoolers.
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yes, just click here for the details.