Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Delta

CAT 12.9 status in U.S.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by CSWO, Dec 15, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSWO

CSWO New Member

I heard this week from someone who knows several sport fish builders that CAT is going to stop selling their 12.9 motor in the U.S. market. I’m looking at a used boat with the 12.9 1000hp motors and this is a big concern to me. I’m sure CAT will continue to offer parts, but I would expect this to hurt resale value on the boat. Does anyone have any insight on CAT’s plans for this motor?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm not Cat savvy.
    Is the 12 and 12.9 different engines?
    Is the 12.9 a Euro block?
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

C12 is an evolution of the 3196. Many of the same bolt-on bits and pieces. Difference is mostly related to changes in the block.

C12.9 is a completely different motor. Supposedly it’s Italian.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is the engine I remember. Don't think it was a favorite in the U S.
    I recall a YF thread talking about these engines before.
    I fear these were short lived here in the states.
    Cat is not listing that engine on their web site.

I'm sure Cat will support it, but for how long would be my concern. Supply from another mfg may have already changed prompting Cat dropping it.

I fear this engine is not like the Chevy 350 (parts and support lasting forever). Investing in a boat with these foreign engines would concern me also.
    How about a set of 12V71TAs or 3412s? Some engines will out live our kids.

I can't tell you go/no-go, but if I had the money, was boat shopping, I would pass.
    Long live SBCs.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
    CSWO likes this.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Speaking of discounted engine packages;
    Anybody remember the BMW gas engine and stern drive (I/O) package.
    Sweet, strong, quiet and all was good. Till BMW dropped it in a couple years.
    Also, Yamaha made a wet clutch stern drive (I/O). Another sweet option. Lasted 2 years.
    These boat owners had to re-power long before the boats time.

IMO; CSWO should be concerned.
    CSWO likes this.
  6. CSWO

CSWO New Member

I appreciate the advice on the CAT 12.9 and will shift my search elsewhere. Thanks to all.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

12.9 is made by Fiat. I've run 1/2 a dozen boats with them. They're good running motors in lighter boats and are a good bit lighter than the C18's. I also was blessed with a yacht with early versions of them serial numbers around 300........had LOTS of issues with those and getting parts was tough and took a month or so back then.....In the first 60-100 hours we had bad thermostats, leaking injector pump, bad starter, leaking turbo and bad wiring harness.....on a set..........they run smooth, efficient, and quieter than C18's.....the later versions I've run have been reliable and without issue......I don't know what parts status is now or whether or not cat is discontinuing them. I haven't heard anything about that.
  8. CWV

CWV Member

I repowered a 50 bertram with them. Other than the common thermostat issue, I had a freeze plug blow out of the block and it caused us to replace a turbo in the first 20 hrs. Question about parts availability came up but cat always came through. The motors were spectacular for that hull. Quiet. Smooth. Smoke free. Best of all, the boat was fast without all that weight of the detroits.