Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for JetForums

Carver 570 as a Loop Boat

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by hat4349, Sep 20, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I watched a video today of someone consider a Carver 570 as a boat to do the loop. While the measurements and draft make the ideal for the loop, I don't think their sea capacity is good enough. I have never been on the Great Lakes but have heard storms can be bad and the chop is horrible. I would not want to be out on the Great Lakes with a Carver.
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Sorry to burst your thought bubble but that boat is perfectly fine for Great Lakes. In fact they're all over the lakes.
    In fact as long as it cleared the 19'6" clearance at Chicago it would make a very comfortable loop boat.
    Oh I live on the Great Lakes and have 1000's of miles logged over 30 odd years.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't either, but I've seen them do it.......You can if you pick your days......a mid 2000's Sea Ray 58' sedan bridge would be a much better choice.
    ChiTown likes this.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Carver is a Great Lakes boat all the way. Just don't go out the bad days. There aren't a lot of them during the summer. Only question is air draft and that likely depends on electronics. May need to hinge the arch.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

To me, they look viable for that. Pick your days, as many would, anyway. Storms on the Chesapeake can be bad and chop can be horrible, too. And we pick our days.

We recently spent almost a year shopping and the 570/56V seemed to meet several of our requirements; had it not been for their helm stations that I didn't like, we might have gone that way. Our conclusions weren't about basic seaworthiness, though.

-Chris
  6. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

Mine (Searay 550/58) cleared the bridge in Chicago in 2019 without having to remove the radar, just lower the VHF antenna and Running/anchor light, had a couple inches to spare. Lot's of 570/56V's on Lake Mi, a few are neighbors. Unless you're compelled time wise then just avoid the days where 6 footers are up. We like the Seary but lots of those Carvers are around,
  7. classic

classic Member

Carver no thank you
    thats nothing but a small lake boat on a calm day, i lived in chicago and the lake can get real nasty crossing it
    I have done the river trips all the way down to fla and back many times thats a nice trip but its long trip but fun.:rolleyes:
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I am not a fan of Carver but The Voyagers are not bad boats... at least it has a traditional design and layout, none of that chlorox bottle styling of so many carvers.

like so many production boats you will have to pick your days but why buy a battlewagon for a trip that’s 96% protected waters? Look at the big bayliners pilothouse which later became meridians. They were in production for over 25 years and have quite a following despite the bayliner badge

I looked at a Voyager in detail years ago, it looked pretty well done with decent access and layout. Full disclosure it sank a year later off NJ :)
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The problem where the Carvers really fail on the loop is the really narrow walkways for their size, very hard to get fore/aft to tend to locks.
  10. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

I agree with Capt J. My wife and I really appreciated wide side decks on our Albin 35 Command Bridge when transiting a bunch of locks on the Erie Canal. The side decks on the Carver look very minimal.