Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Carver 4207 Holding Tank

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by csalkows, Jan 17, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. csalkows

csalkows New Member

Hi there - New owner of an '87 Carver 4207 here. My question: I'm searching for some way to discover when the holding tank is full. Any recommendations? Am I missing an indicator somewhere? Please don't say "when the head backs up"

In your debt

Charles
  2. talexander38

talexander38 Member

hate to say it but if the P.O. didn't install a tank monitoring system, Then it's when it backs up.....you'll learn over time when to pump-out from hoe many days and people have been on her .:rolleyes:
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd be very surprised if you didn't have an indicator. Have you checked inside the cabinets in one of the heads? It could be elsewhere, but it should be there.
  4. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

Look for something called Tankwatch somewhere on the boat. It may be as simple as a single red indicator light.
  5. csalkows

csalkows New Member

holding tank

rats. according to several other 4207 owner there was never an OEM installed indicator.

No good access to the top of the tank. I was thinking of simply tapping a 1.5" opening in the side and inserting a float ball at the end of a lever with a simple rotating indicator on the outside.

What do you think?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It sounds like a way to have the scent of septic inside your boat. I'd install a proper indicator or just practice shinning a light through the tank during ER checks to see the level.
  7. talexander38

talexander38 Member

NYCAP, right on this a sewage tank is a nasty thing to mess with, smell amd off gases from it them can cause problems . Sensors can be installed on the outside of the tank that seem to work well.
  8. csalkows

csalkows New Member

holding tank status

I suppose. I see a Raritan 4-tank monitor at anchor express for $230. Still - it would be nice to hear from any clever engineer who found a cheaper solution.

My tanks are plastic, but I didn't have much luck shining a light. May try again with higher intensity. Thanks for the comments.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd assume this is how you did it, but just in case, you should be shining the light through from the opposite side of at least a corner so that you're seeing the silhouette of what's in the tank.
  10. talexander38

talexander38 Member

that's not a bad price for the system, But wouldn't be high on my list of wants/needs..if you just bought this boat.:)
  11. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

you can see the tanks... I can see if the tank is getting full... one in the engine area and one behind the panel at the galley stairs....
  12. csalkows

csalkows New Member

Thanks for the comment. I'm just realizing that the reason the light method didn't work for me was because the tank was empty.

Hmm... like I said I just put her in the water this month. Still learning about her. The survey reported only one 50 gal holding tank (engine room). I guess he missed the other? I know the panel you're talking about - I'll check this evening. Is it 50 gal as well?

Funny, I saw both pump out ports on the deck but I assumed it was just two access options.
  13. talexander38

talexander38 Member

if you can talk to the P.O. and them to teach the systems I would really do it,or find someone that's been boating longer and have them help you run thru her ....
  14. csalkows

csalkows New Member

I wish. It was a repo... "as is where is". I'm pretty much gutting the interior, stripping the exterior teak, etc. Nice hull and engines though.

I'll start a new thread shortly, with a storyboard.