Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Cross

Carver 4207 AP200 autopilot

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by agskinner, Nov 11, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. agskinner

agskinner New Member

Hi Folks,
    New member here so please excuse any screw ups on my part. I bought this carver a few months ago and I've been having problems with the Robertson AP200 autopilot. Would anyone have an idea where I would look for the components for this thing? Haven't tried looking behind the steering console yet, but I have found the wires from the rudder position indicator under the aft bed. I don't know where the compass is located yet, but I know that it's supposed to be on or near the waterline, but I haven't found it yet.
    Thinking of installing some newer Sinrad components to update the old AP200. has anyone replaced their older autopilots?
    Thanks for your help
    Al
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We're in the process of changing out the auto-pilots on the Hat. They were working fine, but the display on the upper helm has gone blank on us. Found you can't get parts, and they wouldn't be reliable or cost effective if we could, on units over 10 years old. New parts aren't compatable with the older units. So as much as it gnaws at my frugal side, it all goes (with the possible exception of the pump. Waiting to hear on that).
  3. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

We would have been able to keep the pump on our 56 Hatt, but we figured if we're replacing everything we may as well have all brand new with one less failure point.

We did the new Raymarine unit and it's been absolutely awesome. Our old Robertson units stopped working, we may still have a few parts from it that I may be able to get my hands on though.... I think we even have one display that works perfect.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Definitely let me know about that asap. Thanks. As seldom as we use the AP I'd love to save the boss 5K+. Much better spent on diesel an my salary.:)
  5. agskinner

agskinner New Member

4207 Carver autopilot

Thanks for the responses to my Autopilot. I found the computer and the steering control inside the console on the bridge. I took the computer cover off and sprayed all the connections with a special electrical connector cleaner that I got from a fella that repairs gyro compasses. He told me to try cleaning all the connections before replacing my Robertson autopilot.
    When the autopilot was turned on, it would turn to starboard and stay there with the "off course alarm" going off.
    I've sprayed the connections, but I'll have to wait until next weekend to take the boat out and try out the autopilot.
    Al:)
  6. Monepit

Monepit Member

I had a similar problem with my raytheon autopilot. The wife had set a crock pot next to the flux gate compass and it went nuts. You can't have anything metal close to it.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your in the rite direction on cleaning the connections. You may have to re-seat and remove some of the contact points to get a good contact cleaning. Just a spray may not clean the small contact points. The AP100/200 stuff was solid equipment and most problems were the connect points.
    Sadly, Even good things come to a end of life. Ray, Robertson/Simrad and others use a similar pump. If your on a budget, reusing yours may save a little but go ahead and pick up that new pump when you can.
    Robertson/Simrad are under a new company banner now. The support that they tried to offer is gone. There are a few shops that know allot about the equipment but parts are used and usually found on e-bay.
    X-mas is soon, put a new package under da tree.

Safe & Happy A piloting,,
    rc
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Electrical contact cleaner can be found at most electronics stores such as Radio Shack , Best Buy, etc. Good stuff to keep handy.