Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

Carver 3608 prop size question

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by PaPa, May 4, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PaPa

PaPa New Member

New to this forums
    Hi all. I'm in the process of buying a 1992 Carver 3608 aft cabin. It has twin 454 Crusaders at 330 HP each. Engines have 490 hours on both. During the sea trials the engine RPM's max out at 3800 RPM on both. The Marine Surveyor listed the Prop size at 20X 20 and felt this is what may be limiting the RPM. I believe the specs call for 4200 to 4400 RPM.
    Any thoughts on what the standard prop size should be? I was told 20X 18. These are not cupped props by the way. The current owner said he had a compression check done when he bought it 4 years ago. He didn't run it to the higher RPM range and was more interested in fuel economy at 11 to 14 knots. These props were on it when he bought it.
  2. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

I have a 1994 Carver 370 with 454xl Crusaders (same boat), I will check on what props I have when I get to the boat and look at the paperwork I have from Holland Propeller. I hit 4400 every time I try.
  3. PaPa

PaPa New Member

Thank RB. I appreciate you impute. The engine compression question the current owner answered and sent me a report he had done. 14 cylinders checked out at 125 psi. 2 came in at 120 psi. so I don't believe there is a compression issue. I will have to check throttle cable adjustment to see if there is wide open carb plates.