Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights

Carver 355 wiring thru hard top

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by n36511, Mar 5, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. n36511

n36511 New Member

I have a 1995 Carver 355 and am interested in running some wires thru the aft hard top for rear LED floodlights and to mount a rear facing camera. Any of you fished wires successfully thru this space? If so, how dis you do it?

Thanks for the help,
    Scott
  2. timjet

timjet Member

Yea, good luck with that.
    My 98 355 has two dome lights that I replaced with LED's. I'm installing a solar landscaping light to illuminate the swim platform, I'll post a pic when I'm done. I just installed a mirror on the helm, better IMO than a camera.
  3. n36511

n36511 New Member

Well, was at the boat today. I think I can do this. I used my flex camera to run up thru the radar arch and can see where the overhead lights go from the radar arch into the hard top. I am planning on installing speakers in the hard top...so I may just cut one of the 6.5 inch holes for the speaker close to the radar arch. I should be able to fish the wires thru this access down thru the arch.... I will let you know how it turns out. There is plenty of room where I am looking to cut, so I think it will be fine. Worst case, I have a 6.5" hole and plug it with a bomar round hatch :)
  4. timjet

timjet Member

Please post before and after pics. Good luck.
  5. g36

g36 Member

i have a 97 405 very similair to your 355.last year i added led floods to the aft outer corners of the hardtop facing behind the boat and somewhat toward the swim platform and was able to fish wires through the hard top. i removed the existing led overhead recessed lights to help gain some access and also my boat had stereo speakers installed in the hard top so i removed those also. fishing it took a little work but it is doable. i also left a pull string in case i want to add something else later, afterwards installed the speakers and recessed lights back in their places. i dont have pics of the work but i hope this helps. although i have pics of the finished project
  6. timjet

timjet Member

My answer to illuminating the swim platform and a rear view camera.

The solar LED is cheap and will illuminate the swim platform when I return to the boat via dinghy after dark and I don't have to remember to turn it on or worry about it draining the house bank. Swiveling it left and right will illuminate the grill, no more remembering to bring a flashlight along.

I've used the boat a couple of times with the mirror and it works well. I was worried the image would be too small but that doesn't seem to be a problem.
    I have 2 engine room camera's with the images brought up on my Ray MFD. I couldn't imagine switching from plotter/radar to camera view every time I wanted a rear view or am about to make a turn. Perhaps for docking a camera would be helpful though.

Attached Files:

7. n36511

n36511 New Member

Epic fail :)

So I get up the nerve and start my project:

First cut the pilot hole to make sure I am not cutting through any wire, once done I then cut the full speaker hole. To my dismay, as you can see from the video, no hole exists between the arch and the hardtop. The wire for the in-hardtop lighting is wired thru the aft cabin and up through the port aft hardtop support leg. :( .

I plan on drilling a hole in an inconspicuous area on the top of the hardtop and the arch and running the wires through them. Lesson learned. I attached the photos and video for those 355 owners who always wondered what was up there :)

Carver 355 hardtop speaker location - YouTube

Attached Files: