Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

Carver 355 windlass problem

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by n36511, Jul 28, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. n36511

n36511 New Member

I have a 1995 carver 355 with what I think is a stock windlass. Lately when I go to retrieve the anchor, the windlass spins but does not grab the chain. Any thoughts? It is all chain and I normally deploy about 50 ft.
  2. Monepit

Monepit Member

There is a clutch you can tighten down to grab the capstan harder or loosen it to free fall. You might check that.
  3. n36511

n36511 New Member

Ok thanks for that tip. I will look into that and see if that helps. The previous owner also said that the chain stacks up high in the locker and having some one move the chain around helps reduce this problem. I will let you know what works.

Thanks
  4. Monepit

Monepit Member

Ok. Now that you mention that, that's probably your problem. Mine did the same thing. The chain locker is too short and it piles up and the windless can't put any more in. I changed mine to rope and it still did the same thing. As it feeds in it builds up in a bee hive shape till it hits the top. I usually had the chain locker door open when I pulled the anchor up. When it stopped I would go down and knock the pile down ane pull on the rope or chain just a little. Go back up top and continue to pull it in. I never did find a way around that. Oh yea, I finally did, I bought a 450 voyager. Good luck. Dave
  5. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

Winfless

My 95 had the original windless. Remove the cover and in the center of capstain there will a nut. Tighten it up and I bet it works for you.