Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn

Carver 355 Aft Fuel Tank Access

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by n36511, Mar 17, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. n36511

n36511 New Member

I occasionally get a wif of gas odors in my adt cabin. Can any of you tell me how to access the rear tank for inspection?

Thanks,
    Scott
  2. n36511

n36511 New Member

Sorry for the premature post. I found it. It is located underneath the aft bed.
  3. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

Be Careful!

I have a 1996 355 and the auxiliary (aft) tank developed a leak. I complained of a gas odor and had it checked--nothing found. It was only discovered because of a recall on the rudder linkage, when the mechanic dropped a wrench in the bilge and fished it out--covered in gas! The odor had gone away and I used the boat the rest of the season. They had to cut into the swim platform to replace it. BTW, Carver covered the entire repair, even though the boat was out of warranty.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Do you get the smell all the time or just when the tank is full. We had this problem on a 444 ocassionally (after fueling) and it turned out to be in the fuel neck.
  5. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

It was continuous for a week or so then went away--the tank had corroded and was replaced
  6. Tom Bayus

Tom Bayus New Member

I also have a 1996 355 and my tank developed a crack while in heated storage last month.. Almost 75 gallons of fuel went into the bilge and out onto the floor of the storage facility.. My insurance paid for the clean up but not the replacement of the tank.. How did you get Carver to pay for the repair? Thanks
  7. trmnewt

trmnewt Member

It was only a few years out of warranty at the time, and the dealer was highly motivated to take care of it. I complained about the gas odor in July, they assured me it was nothing and didn't find the gas leak until the following spring.