Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Westport

carver 3207 ac gph and stability question

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Y & J, Jan 9, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Y & J

Y & J New Member

Considering a purchase of an 84 with windsor 351 4 bolt mains.

Our questions are on :
    1. gph at cruising speeds....not looking to be purchasing a gas guzzler.....

2. stability.....

We really love the layout, space and size feels adequate, however, we hear of 2 issues...noted above, and wonder if those of you with carver experience could enlighten us on these areas....perhaps add some other insights...

look forward to your replies.....Y & J
  2. Carver370

Carver370 New Member

I had an 84 3207 from 1984 to 1990. I honestly can say I never even cared to figure out the gph on the boat in all those years. I used the boat how I wanted and filled her up as I went. From what I am told you could expect a little under 1 mpg at cruise speed. My 370 with 454 Crusaders gets just under 1 mpg at 22 mph / 3300 rpm.

I never had any stability issues, its a bridge boat so it does pitch and roll more so than an express but isn't that expected?
  3. subsailor637

subsailor637 New Member

I just took delivery of a 1990 3607 (aft cabin) and don't seem to be getting even 1 mpg. To get 22 mph @ 3300 rpm I assume you are running both engines. Oil pressure is good, water temp is good, engines are in synch and sound great, just not achieving this rate of burn. Any suggestions?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You should ALWAYS run both engines. Running one engine would grossly overload it, and would be drastically less efficient.

If the boat has trim tabs, use them. Most gas boats seem to run best with the trim tabs all of the way down or close to it. Get the boat to 3300rpm's and then start putting the trim tabs down 1-2 seconds at a time and look at your speed on GPS. wait 30 seconds and try another 1-2 seconds of holding the trim tab buttons down, until you see the speed increase to the highest point on GPS.

A dirty bottom and a lot of extra weight in the boat can and will greatly effect efficiency. So will having engines that are not properly tuned.
  5. CroixToys

CroixToys New Member

I own a 1983 Carver 3207 and get less then 1 mpg. Not a lot less but less. I'll go around 100 miles on 120 gallons. Then $475 for a fill-up.

As far as stability goes I can't answer as I haven't been aboard enough boats in this class to make an adequate comparison.

Love mine though.