Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service

Carver 25 montego

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Bobpipedream, Mar 29, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bobpipedream

Bobpipedream New Member

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a carver 25 montego 1989. Just wondered if anyone knew the following?

Hull construction - does the 2557 from 1989 have balsa core below the waterline?

Gas tank - the one I am looking at has a leaking tank - not much of an issue as I have welded stainless a lot. But is it a standard thing for them to leak?

Thanks,

Bob
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to YF Bob. DK about the balsa core, but I think I'd send a camera into that tank to check the condition. Is the leak from a bad weld or corrosion? Needless to say, please take proper precautions before bringing a torch to a gas tank or we may have you posting in the "Oops" thread from a hospital bed.
  3. Carver38

Carver38 Member

Here's what I found on another forum when researching MY Carver. ('91 3807) This was actually a question about your same model!

"All Carver models ending with 7 or higher are solid fiberglass from the waterline to the keel and are cored in the hullsides and decking. Carver models ending with a 6 (2896, 3396, etc...) are fully cored to the keel. It's hard to break it down to a model year because the ---6's were replaced by the ---7's gradually. So to answer you carver2557...your boat is solid glass below the waterline."

Hope this helps!!