Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Furuno

Cape Horn Reborn

Discussion in 'Cape Horn Yacht' started by 'RoundTheHorn, Aug 22, 2007.

1. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Cape Horn Yachts apparently has been reborn as Cape Horn Expedition Yachts and under the supervision of the original founder, Peter Sever. Check out http://www.capehornexpeditionyachts.com/ to view the details. Maybe Judy Waldman will fill us in on some of the bigger details not found on the site.
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Nice stuff, I honestly like what I am seeing.
  3. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

i must say they are very nice expedition yachts the only problem i have with them is the amount of crew space available on them. On the 85' only 2 crew that is to little and on the 105' 4 crew only. I worked on a 84' and we were 4 crew and i still did not have enough time to get to everything and we were working an avarge day of 18-20 hours. I did the engeneering aswell there is just not enought time in a day. at the end of the day it all depends on the owners and what service they want, if they are fully involved in every aspect then it can be done depending on their experience of course
  4. clnewman

clnewman New Member

We spoke with Judy in June about the resurrection of Cape Horn. Apparently they're being built in the Balkans (I don't recall where, and this could have changed since we spoke).

Nice looking boats.
  5. 'RoundTheHorn

The web site (in the Commercial Tradition section) states that vessels will be built "by very seasoned and experienced yards in Croatia." Interiors will be built by "very experienced and internationally recognized Italian and Greek cabinetry firms", shipped to the yard and installed in Croatia.
  6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Peter Sever, the original founder of Cape Horn Trawlers, is back onboard in a new corporation. Aside from Peter, the company principals have advanced degrees in physics, maritime design and operations, admiralty law, and decades in the finance world and maritime operations including one being a Croatian ice-qualified master.

Their plan is to take Cape Horn Expedition Yachts public through a Canadian stock offering. Peter is to be a shareholder and adviser in the re-born Cape Horn as he obviously wants to see the continued success of Cape Horn trawlers accomplish the goals to which they were originally designed, as well as the financial success of the company.

The Cape Horn Expedition Yachts will be built in Croatia at two yards that have each been boat building for over 50 years. The furniture will be built in Italy by a very well known firm. The initial construction, due to start in the Fall, will be a RPH 68 and a 85 Tri-deck although they are offering other sizes. All yachts will be delivered in Lloyds class and can be produced with ice qualified hulls. The vessels can also be built at the original yard in Nova Scotia subject to the same specifications, but at a higher price.

Judy
  7. 'RoundTheHorn

Thank you, Judy, for your update. I was very impressed with the first hulls that carried the Cape Horn name. I am glad to see the company coming back under Peter's watchfull eyes. Any chance we might know what he's been up to in the interim? Hopefully it involved some wonderful cruising. Does he monitor this forum or is he a member? I know he used to participate in the Trawlers & Trawlering (ex-Trawler World) List.
  8. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Peter has been keeping busy with his diversified interests. He's visited with some of his Cape Horn owners on their yachts, did some Harley trips, is involved with the Arts, and doing some local community work in Toronto.

Peter really implemented some innovative ideas for private yachts such as bilge keels as passive stabilization, Z drives, safety redundancies, and so forth. It shows what impact an individual boater building for himself can have on the yachting community. It should be an inspiration for not accepting the status quo.

Judy
  9. 'RoundTheHorn

Judy, I do remember his ideas and would consider many of them almost required now if designing a serious passagemaking yacht. Thanks again for the information. I wish the new company well.