Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross

Can you make a yacht faster?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by chick corea, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chick corea

chick corea Guest

lets say you don't like the speed on your NEW ferreti 830 speeD of 30 knots and would want it to do 50 knots cruise speed and 70 knots top speed.. would it be way to expensive to do that? ..

2 question are there yatchs with on the floor windows for looking at the sea life? I would love that .

thanx
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If the boat has a planing hull you can probably add HP till you go so fast it goes out of control and crashes. The power to weight ratio is important so if ya want huge power and lo weight Gas Turbines are the way forward, they are not very economical at full power and even worse at part load.

It would be a waste of time looking through the floor at that speed you would be a lot better looking out the forward facing windows for sea life in the shape of other mariners an any immoveable objects in line with your trajectory.

As to cost, It is all relative if you have enough money to do what you wan then the cost is immaterial but rest assured it won't be cheap in any way shape or form except for the initial purchase of the boat.
  3. chick corea

chick corea Guest

Oooo.... ok .. . soo even if it can go faster maybe its a safe idea, becuase it can go out of control?

and btw well loking at sea life when the boat is still.

how much would it cost about?

do they sale yatchs with that sistems?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am sure you could get a custom made yacht that went like that, as for off the shelf I don't know of anyone that produces them.

If I recall correctly there was either a boat or boats that were Gas Turbine powered about 15/20 yrs ago. There used to be an advert on the back of some of the magazines showing a guy in black and white with a Proto or Snap On wrench over his shoulder and some blurb about GT Power.

I want to say the guys name was Bob Allen or something like that.

Maybe one of the other Forum Members can recall this better than me
  5. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

...."that's the formula for transparent aluminum...", "how do we know he didn't invent the stuff?"

70 knots? Sounds like the "yacht" would need to be a 75' Cigarette sliding across a frozen pond. Really, what would be the fuel per hour on that kind of rigged yacht??? 1000 gph?

My advice is to slow down and enjoy the ride.....fewer split cocktails.....just saying
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

google "acme rockets"... they make solid rocket boosters you can bolt on the side to get that kind of speed. i've seen that on TV a little while ago, I think it was a program called Roger Rabbit... or was it Woody Wood Pecker? very brighgtly colored graphic and sound effect. really nice set up.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

An 83 doing 70 kts???:eek: The real scary part is that some fool will probably do it and will probably drive it so far up on land that he'll then rent it out as a condo (and not one with a water view). :rolleyes:
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am working on a proposal for a guy to build a boat with a pair of diesel engines and a pair of GE LM2500G4 Gas Turbines.

These puppies punch out 47,370 shp each with a SFC of .354 lb/shp-hr or 16,768.98 lbs/hr or approx 2,345 US Gal of Fuel an hour each

I seriously doubt that one would physically fit into a Ferretti 830
  9. CaptNeil

CaptNeil Member

Isn't the Millenium The World is Not Enough supposed to do like 70 knots?
  10. chick corea

chick corea Guest

thanx i just installed two of them on my yatch one on each side .:p
  11. chick corea

chick corea Guest

Makes perfects cents: But i want more speed for doing a world cruise thing.
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Chick Corea

... so you're really putting us on with these questions, right?
  13. rodsteel

rodsteel Member

Hi,

What you would gain in speed you would lose at the refueling dock:cool: (about every 100 miles:) )

Rod
  14. chick corea

chick corea Guest

I m Curiose and i want to out run pirates. if i ever
    run in to them ( well it had happend) and maybe if a also have to out run a sunami you never know in this times ..:eek:

or mabye even something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_8R03jIZI&feature=related

I m just picking on your Einstein like brains a little. Sorry...
  15. Buy a Saturn V from Cape Canaveral and put atop your boat, then just go do it. In other side, i would prefer 20 kts in the hot tube with a drink, because windy was already too much. Preferences are own personal. Don't you really not prefer buying a Private Jet? Just'ncase.
  16. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

I wonder if the hull of that 830 can even survive the stress of 70 knots in any weather...:confused:

For the love of God, at the very least be sure to trial the whole assembly before you try that world cruising thing.
  17. chick corea

chick corea Guest

to much $$$$$$
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Someone already did that with a 140' "The world is not enough"
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Picture that hurtling through the fog or dark at you with an owner at the helm.:eek: The thought brings me back to the thread on SeaDoo for Dad as well as too many personal experiences.
  20. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

was just thinking of them ... but in their sea trials, they lost control over 60 knots ...

i would NOT want to be in a 140' tri-deck doing those speeds ...

either that, or i should be certified & locked up ...

:D :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.