Privacy Matters Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Camera's on board

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Johnathon, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Johnathon

Johnathon New Member

I am looking to get an IP camera mounted down under to read the generator gauge that I can view up at the front of the boat like I do the other camera's. The problem I have is that I can't find a camera that will zoom in or have a good enough view of the numbers on the gauge to read from the view.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There are a bunch of them available

I ve had good luck with stuff from this company

https://www.cctvcamerapros.com/

I have one in the ER that lets me zoom in on things, also in the Pilothouse so I can see the monitoring system or the plotter with the anchor swing pattern
  3. Johnathon

Johnathon New Member

Thank you, that site is very big with lots of options. Now my problem is which camera seems to be able to be the one I am looking for. haha
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

What gauge on your Gen are you concerned with? If you want to monitor electrical output Blue Sea makes a nice remote monitor that’s inexpensive and easy to install. I put two on my bridge to monitor Volts and HZ output of my two gens and a separate one that monitors multiple battery bank status’.
  5. Johnathon

Johnathon New Member

The generator. We are having to go down every couple hours to check the gauge, and would love to just see it on my panel with my other cameras.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A fancy cam in the ER could be cool. Tilt/pan and see all including the gauges.

Or, install some remote gauges for whatever your looking after.
    Unless you make up a wireless camera rig, your going to run some wires anyway.
  7. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

I just installed ER cameras. to monitor remote panels for Main engines. They came out really well and I can see the gauges perfectly. I also installed a couple cameras to look for leaks, steam, smoke etc. They are clearer than in this picture since this is a phone picture on the monitor. ER Camera.jpg
  8. Johnathon

Johnathon New Member

Can you tell me more about what is an ER camera?
  9. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

ER= Engine Room. I used fairly simple Indoor/Outdoor security cameras to monitor Engine Room and gauges on remote panel. I also have one camera facing cockpit. I plan to add a camera facing forward to the foredeck at some point. I have them attached to a recorder as well for when I'm away from the boat.
  10. Johnathon

Johnathon New Member

Can I get some camera make and models that you guys are using? I am shopping cameras now and I think it’s frowned upon to buy them try them and return them if it’s not what I need. Haha. It needs to be an IP camera as well. Thanks.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You don't have main engine monitor gauges at your helms already?
  12. Johnathon

Johnathon New Member

Yes, they do. But looking for a camera to monitor generator gauge. They current one I have won’t zoom and focus so I have a blurry unusable image.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Check the link i posted earlier, they have a number of IP cams. Models change all the time so I m sure the ones I bought last year have now been replaced

another good brand of cameras is Axys

for your application any cam with PTZ will work just fine
  14. Johnathon

Johnathon New Member

I just purchased a camera. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the input.
  15. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

I do have gauges on helm. There are additional gauges on the remote that I don't have on helm (Engine oil temp, Trans oil Temp, Vacuum gauges for filters etc. My main motivation was mainly to look for leaks, steam or smoke. My VDO tachs don't seem to be very accurate so I like to see the digital RPM's. On my very long list of to-do's is to replace Tacho's at the helm. To the OP I used relatively inexpensive Reolink NVR system
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

On the Camera subject: If anyone is looking to use ARLO/NETGEAR Cameras to keep am eye on their babies while un attended please read the fine print carefully. They have done a blanket stop to sending e mail alerts even though they had previously listed half a dozen EOL items where this would happen its been applied system wide. There are many unhappy users out there. It doesn't help that online yech support is a robot that does not understand anything except to post stock answers