Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Glendinning

calorifiers ? Do the bigger engined MAN / MTU / CAT have them ?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Fiammetta42, Sep 2, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

As per post .
    I was of the understanding particularly with the modern MAN riddled with sensor they don’t.
    Just rely on 220 v AC water heaters ? Wether on AC shore power or generators.

Partly because because of extra sensors these days Eg with MAN “ coolant expansion tank pressure “ it’s got a range typically 250-900 mb s and a time to reach with in said range .
    So if one engine had to heat up a large clap cold water tank from its pipes , that might take too long and trigger a MDDS ( or modern eq ) alarm ? Say a hot tank for a 4/5 cabin 90 ftr as an example.

Or are calorifiers just small compact boat thingys , assuming larger boats with bigger motors naturally have genys running which provide AC for electric elements when not at the dock .
  2. jfm

jfm New Member

Not sure what your question is, but those large engines have take off points, to give the builder the choice of taking some of the engine jacket water and run it through a hot water tank loop (a "calorifier"). And more to the point, to allow truck/earthmover builders using the same engines to heat the driver's cab in winter. On Cat C32 they are on left side of engine block, if you're standing at the flywheel end looking forward toward the heat exchanger end. I can get you the location on MTU 2000 series next week if you need.

Plenty of builders use these water take offs on boats say 60-80 feet to heat hot water for bathrooms, if the hot water tank is close by. As you say, on bigger boats it is less common, I guess because such boats are generators-always-on boats, and because sometimes the domestic hot water tanks are some distance away from the engines. In that latter case it is imho unwise to use the engine water to heat the domestic hot water because of risk of (mission-critical ) leak in a long pipe run.

I don't buy any of your sensors concerns. Makes no sense. When the engine is cold, the thermostat is closed anyway, so its irrelevant if some water is diverted to a domestic water loop and as a matter of engineering it is 100% irrelevant to the time lapse time taken to build pressure. When the engine is hot and reaches the point where thermostat opens, say 85 degrees C or whatever, the (say) 1.5Kilowatt draw of a domestic water heating loop, on an engine that is putting 10x or 100x that through its heat exchanger and into the sea, just makes no difference to anything.